Poor wireless performance from Livebox

Has anyone experienced poor WiFi performance from Livebox modems?

I have just subscribed to Orange broadband-only service and have set up the Livebox they have provided. This works fine via the Ethernet cable, which is

completely impractical to me, and I can get a wireless connection in one room where I don’t really want to use it, but not in the room where I do want to use it. Both these locations are only about twenty feet from the

Livebox.

If I leave my laptop switched on for some time in the second location I get the message “The capability of your network adapter does not match the requirements

of this network”.

I used Assistance Livebox to check out the wireless connection and I have reset the Livebox adapter via Network Connections as suggested in Windows Help.

There are no electrical items in the vicinity which could affect the signal.

Background.

The Livebox is model 2fa.

The signal strength is shown as Very Good or even Excellent.

There are no electrical items in the vicinity which could affect the signal.

I thought this might resolve itself after a day or two as Livebox and the laptop got to know each other, but not so.

The laptop is a three year old Toshiba Equium running on Windows Vista.

I have no similar problems in the UK where I have a modem supplied by PlusNet, nor any problems using WiFi signals in public areas.

Possible solution.

As I have rented the Livebox and can cancel this at any time (or so I was told), is there a better modem I can buy here in France, or could I bring my UK

modem with me to use here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chico

I'm no expert but I would give one of the following a go...

1) Buy a 10m adsl cabel and put the live box where you want it...

2) Buy 2x devolo cpl kit.. This would give you another ethernet connection where you want it.

3) Buy 2x devolo wireless cpl kit.. This would give you another wifi connection where you want it.

Does that work well, Osie? They sound good but are they easy to set up?  Do you think they're better than TP Link or Netgear ones?

I did think of suggesting this sort of thing to Chico too but then I saw that his signal strength was "very good" so wondered whether this was the right solution for him or not.

I find the devolo range work great and there is virtually no setup effort.... Dont know tp link or netgear.

My setup is such that I have 8 of them all around in various external big chunky wall buildings.. I also have a wireless one about 500m away and the wireless reception is perfect.  In fact the chunky walls change nothing as it runs through the wires but as the previous post said 'a wall/open space will inhibit wireless reception'.

I would say for the price they are indispensable but whether it will work for the OP is another question.