Landline & Internet package advice please

Hi all

We've had a Fance telecom (landline) & Orange livebox (for the internet) in our French house for sometime now and it looks expensive to me - I'm hoping you may able to recommend something cheaper

We currently pay 31.99 euro for the landline and 34.77 euro for the internet per month

We currently use the internet all the time when we are over in France (each month) but hardly ever use the landline

All suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

Lou

First of all, do you know if you are in a Zone Dégroupé.

There have been quite a few posts on similar questions, which you might like to look at.

I use Free.fr, and have VOIP telephone with free calls to landlines in 60 countries + French mobiles, TV, and Internet for a total of around 33€ a month.

I also can have a free Simcard with an hour's calls in France with that package, providing I already have a spare mobile  phone to put it in

Hi Norman

Many thanks for your reply - I have not heard of a Zone Degroupe - so I'm assuming that I'm not in one!

If you know how to check I will have a look

Your Free.fr package sounds good so if you could let me have any more info on it I would be very grateful

Thanks again for the reply

Lou

From the amount you are paying for the line it looks as though you are making some calls..................

Anyway if you want to keep things simple, and retain a "real" telephone rather than VOIP why not swap to the Optimale Internet package from Orange? This gives you the fastest ADSL available on your line, the existing phone line , and free calls to many fixed numbers including France and the UK.

It costs 38.90 Euros per month plus 3 Euros per month for the Livebox. You can provide your own router, as you don't have to use their Livebox because the free calls are not VOIP based.

You can't order this over the internet, but it's easy to do over the phone.

Details are on the Orange website, but they are an option under Fixe rather than ADSL.

[quote user="Quillan"]

The website below is quite good and has been recommended by many in the past. Just type in your phone number (and address, more fields appear automatically for this as you enter the information) and it will tell you if your degrouped or not. It will also tell you what speed you may get and who offers what services.

http://www.degrouptest.com/

[/quote]

Tried site above with my phone number but it does NOT include an offer from FREE, so not much use to me as I was thinking of changing to FREE so that I could benefit from their free (no capitals) mobile call offer of 60 minutes per month and also some SMSs.

[:(] I can't update to Free either according to them, not that I want too at this time (things might change for me later this year). It would be interesting to see the results from somebody who does have Free already. [6] Degrouptest may be being a bit discriminatory, you never know. I used to get Darty as well last time I checked a few years ago, don't know if they are still an ISP but they don't come up either.

I have always recomended Degrouptest from the days of Mazan (remember him?), so is there another, simple to use website you can check on that gives you the same sort of info? I always thought this lot were independant which clearly they are not from what you are saying.

They used to cover Free but dropped them three or four years ago......... as it says on the site...

A la demande d'Iliad, l'éligibilité Free n'est plus disponible sur DegroupTest. Vous pouvez néanmoins consulter l'éligibilité Alice, qui est identique.

On the other main comparison site ariase.com its noticeable that there are no paid incentives to switch to Free.