Having a new phone line installed on Tuesday, Not!!

I was going to have the whole package of phone and broadband/ADSL on my residence secondaire line but found out that I can only turn the phone line off and on but not both, so I have decided to try dial-up, but I don't have a clue what I need or how to go about it after I get the line in.

I will be taking a UK laptop, what other equipment do I need to buy and who would be the easiest ISP to go with, Orange/FT? if I go with FT will it all go on one bill? which is easier for me.

I will print off the advice given in the sticky above before I leave UK so I can refer to it.

Is it possible that the engineer will set it up for me as he would have done if I had gone with the ADSL?

I leave for France today at midnight, so sorry in advance if I don't reply after that time.

Thank You

Hi Jacqui

It's a shame you've gone for dial-up on a line than can have broadband! Dial-up speeds are akin to using a quill pen!

Maybe you should just have gone for a USB 'dongle' (available from all the main operators just like in the UK) if it's internet access you're concerned about. After all most people have mobile phones now. It really depends on whether you need a fixed land line.

As far as connecting to dial up - your lap top will either have a built-in modem with a phone socket - or not. If not you simply buy an inexpensive external USB dial up modem for connection to your phone line. The dial-up ISP's make their money from your connection phone call although if you have an all-inclusive package with FT these call's can effectively be free / included.

Unlikely that the engineer will help you set up a dial-up connection but it's pretty easy and normally your PC will guide you through the process.

Chiefluvvie

Thanks for the reply, I have already gone down the dongle route [:(] I'm affaid it was worse than useless!

Yes I have a newish laptop with built in modem and a phone socket, but are French phone sockets the same as our in UK? I need to know which connector I need to conect my laptop to the phone socket, I have several here in UK but I'm sure they wouldn't fit.

If I choose FT dial-up where do I get the disc or the info from to use it. I shall be going into the nearest Orange shop on Monday and I need to know what I am asking for (in French) [:$]

What will the cable/contector be called?

Oh what fun! (not)

I'd avoid the set up disk option if you possibly can, it will load up lots of other **** that you don't want. I'll see if I can find the easy step by step instructions and post them here for you (but if anyone else knows them, please "beat me to it".)

Jacqui

Just buy your cable here in France from one of the supermarkets - they will have the correct phone fittings - although you can also buy very cheap adaptors. I think you'll find that most UK cables can fit into the back of an appropriate FT socket - although if it;s a new line your having fitted it should have on of the new RJ11 sockets anyway. Whatever, you can easily pick up the necessary bits here!

Don't bother with a dial-up package - there are loads of free ones on line - I've used Turbosurf in the past. Link here : http://turbosurf.co.uk/boost_internet.php

Really simple :-)

Chiefluvvie

I would hesitate a guess that you will one day convert to adsl.. with costs quite cheap you may find you minutes adding up.

btw: I had a thought of having an emergency backup dial up option for when orange screws up again... Chiefluvvie, I noticed that the number to call is an 0845... does that mean you need to put 0044 in front of it and does that mean that the costs will be more than a uk local call?

Hi osie - yep it's a UK 0845 number so you'd set your dial-up as 00448452404020 with the turbosurf password etc.

On most FT/Orange fixed line plans i.e. calls to landlines in EU/North America are fully included and UK 0845 numbers fall into those plans - i.e. no additional / premium number charges so - you can stay online as long as you like.

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Martin963"]We're all wondering how you got on Jacqui....?
[/quote] Ha not very well Martin! FT turned up on time and a very nice engineer said " You don't have a line" I said "No, I thought that was what you had come to do"!!! So looks like FT are just as incompetent as BT!! (long story) [:-))] Not sure when I will get the new line, hopefully they can string it up all 20m of it before I go home on 6th May. I've got all my equipment now no problem, just need a phone line to use it! Meanwhile I am sitting in McDonalds having a coffee as that's my last resort.[kiss] What wonderful weather we're having! thank goodness our work is indoors. If your passing call in, would love to see you, my number is XXXXXXXXXXX Won't be back on line for a while :-(.......

Mods Hat ON

I have removed the phone number from your post. If you want to contact somebody and pass on private information like real name, phone number, address etc please do so by PM or Email (Buttons at the bottom of each post). I am not telling you off at all but there are some very weird people out there. I don't mean contributors to the forum but you never know who is reading the posts as this is an 'open forum' and viewing is not restricted to forum members.

Mod Hat OFF

Forum Moderator

Happens to the best of us.   I once pasted something on here and it turned out it linked to a whole load of private details on the Alice Subscribers page,   which for some reason wasn't password protected when accessed from here.    The mods are very good in that respect.

Agree about the weather,   the distaff side is desperate to plant out all her seedlings from Britain but it just doesn't stop for long enough.....

At least FT didn't tell you that you'd have to plan the route for the line,   and get permission from all the landowners over whose land it passed.    Yes,   that happened to friends of ours - they gave up in the end.

[quote user="Martin963"]Happens to the best of us.   I once pasted something on here and it turned out it linked to a whole load of private details on the Alice Subscribers page,   which for some reason wasn't password protected when accessed from here.    The mods are very good in that respect.

[/quote]

We try our best to look after our members interests, sometimes I wonder about other forums. That's why we always enforce PM's or Email when giving personal details. Unfortunately there are some strange people out there. [:(]

Sorry about the phone number!, nice to know there is someone looking after our best interests.

The latest is that I got a message to say that there are no lines available for me at the moment at the exchange/riseau, so goodness know when I might get a new line now :-(((

Getting used to MacDonald's coffee!!