Orange....Again !!!

Hi ok

Just for info ..have you noticed that you have a new wifi device connected to your PC..    F5VTZL1     this is a Hot Spot  that Orange are creating so all Orange customers can use your some or all of your band width   . you will notice it has a no entry sign on it so you can not delete it ...

but you can limit it to 1 hour a day ... I will post how to If you want [;-)]

Dave

[quote user="Hereford"]Are you using an "orange" livebox?  We use an adsl router, no livebox, so would doubt they can put anything on our pc!  Don't want it and would complain to Orange if they tried such a thing.

Mrs H

[/quote]It's nothing to do with your PC only to do with the Livebox so you can rest easy !

Well according to the Orange website website FAST3XXX_6814BC is the latest version (May 2012) of firmware. Dave, can you confirm that is what yours is as well?

How do you know that this is for a 'Hotspot', I tried to google is and the only thing google can find is your original post in this thread.

I read that these 'Hotspots' will be identified as a separate WiFi network on your router. So if you have a Laptop or mobile phone that uses WiFi you should now see two different networks one of which should be called "Orange". If you d have one called Orange then you have a Hotspot. If you don't then it my be something nasty attached to your WiFi although I don't have a clue what it could be. Normally however if it is greyed out it means it is not physically connected at this time. We have loads on our network but they are grey and belong to departed guests. Every month or so I delete them but sometimes I can't so I reset the router.

I can't see any objection to this facility, as long as you are given the choice of opting in or out.

BT has the same thing with their Home Hubs.If you opt in You are given free access to FON wifi spots world-wide, and BT wifi spots in the UK.

As my wifi barely covers the house, never mind the garden I can't see the point of objecting!

I don't think you are required to open the gates and allow people to park on the lawn so that they can pick up the signal......

[quote user="BJSLIV"]I can't see any objection to this facility, as long as you are given the choice of opting in or out. BT has the same thing with their Home Hubs.If you opt in You are given free access to FON wifi spots world-wide, and BT wifi spots in the UK. As my wifi barely covers the house, never mind the garden I can't see the point of objecting! I don't think you are required to open the gates and allow people to park on the lawn so that they can pick up the signal......[/quote]

Well there is that and it can work to your advantage. It is highly unlikely that anyone will be on my lawn or even outside my house to get a Hotspot but then the advantage could if you are 'all Orange' in which case your Orange mobile has free access (including the UK I believe) to Orange hotspots. You could get free calls if you have a 'smartphone' with voip software like Skype. For some it could be very interesting but for others like me of no interest at all.

This is the service,

http://assistance.orange.fr/le-wifi-partage-954.php

which is being rolled progressively by Orange. It is the same idea as Free and SFR have already.

You choose to have the service active or not in the 'espace client'

http://assistance.orange.fr/activer-desactiver-le-wifi-partage-de-la-livebox-1181.php

you can request the service via this link

http://assistance.orange.fr/demande-wifi-partage.php

It may not be possible on your line though

Danny

[quote user="AnOther"]My firmware is FAST3XXX_6814BC.

I believe there may be a MK11 Livebox 2 though as someone reported having a sync speed parameter in System Information which I certainly don't have.

Maybe my Livebox is due a lightening strike or something equally terminal [;-)]

[/quote]

There are two versions of the Livebox 2. The first was made by Sagem and the present version is made by ZTE.

They have different firmwares. Each box also has two versions of firmware depending on the contract used (VOIP telephone or not)

http://www.forum-orange.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=25376 details the latest versions.

There is an update being deployed at the moment.

The ZTE Livebox is no better or worse generally but has some problems for advanced users - gamers, etc

There is a new livebox 3 coming sometime soon...ish. Probably early next year from what I can read.

Danny