I recently signed up with Free and they sent me a sim card, my contract ends at the end of this month with sfr but they cut me off immediately. Subsequently i had no phone at all with no warning. Apparently they are supposed to umblock the phone if I ask them. Spent two hours in customer service who gave me duff information and one hour on the phone to their never ending automated questions and options.

So now the tech dept eventually gives me the numbers to unblock with which we went through and when i put in my Free sim card, it say it is frozen and asks for a pin number. I put in the pin Free said but it still says it is frozen.. So no unblocking and more expense phoning SFR for them to give me the runaround. Anyone done this? Cheers in advance (agh)!!!

I had a similar problem activating my free simcard, I cant recall the details but I made a real nul mistake, something about using a number which I thought was the PIN but was not or maybe them calling it something else.

It was resolved on this forum so try the search facility or if not you will just have to search back through the archives of the relevant section, cant recall when Freemobile launched but it was then.

I know that I am nul but I think that the forum search facility is even more nul or just wont work for nuls!

Good luck to you, its worth the effort.

Well here is my twopence.

I have an SFR phone. I applied for the code via their website only to be told that they could not find my details so I had to post them a form I printed off with the serial number of the phone on it and a copy of my delivery note for the phone (been in France a long time now so have learnt and all paperwork goes in original boxes and in to the garage).

Several weeks later I got a letter with a number which I couldn't work out what to do with. My neighbour kindly phoned them for me and it took about an hour but the phone is now unlocked. By the way to unlock it they also send a code so (and to the best of my knowledge) you have to have a working SIM n it which will be the original SFR one. Of course if the number has been deactivated you may have a problem. I was told a long time ago always unlock your mobile before you do anything else like change operators etc. I was not even changing suppliers just my phone. Good luck

In the past, in order to get my phone to accept foreign SIM cards, depending on the model I have either been able to get the unlock code from a free website or else I have purchased an unlock code from ebay - around £4 IIRC.

Be aware that you need to follow unlock instructions very carefully, and be VERY clear as to what message it is that you are getting from the phone: if you put the wrong code in too many times when trying to unlock the phone (ie to release it from being tied to the supplying network) you may end up getting the phone blocked, which is another issue entirely.

[quote user="Quillan"]By the way to unlock it they also send a code so (and to the best of my knowledge) you have to have a working SIM n it which will be the original SFR one. Of course if the number has been deactivated you may have a problem. I was told a long time ago always unlock your mobile before you do anything else like change operators etc.[/quote]

In such cases, any valid SIM from the current operator will do, so even if yours has been deactivated, a "borrowed" one will do.

Ok Qwilly need your input here, so i get the codes to deblock and they don't work. both myself and a french friend went through the same process separately with SFR and it says Phone Freeze deactivate fail!!! Now so far SFR through their long message system detailing how much my call will cost, has now cost me an arm and a leg. HELP anyone??? Tell me they are not having a laug.

[quote user="Georgina"] HELP anyone??? [/quote]

All I can say is that I have found using the SFR help fora really productive. Though I have to add the help has been to do with loss of ADSL, Neufbox going down and not coming back, non functioning telephony through adsl etc, not mobiles BUT it might really be worth a go.

There are SFR experts on the various fora who know what they are talking about and have the power to do something about the problem. But it can take a few days, or not, depending on how informative you can be in your post and who you get to help you - can be the luck of the draw.

It costs nought but your time and effort.

http://forum.sfr.fr/c141-1-questions-techniques/f199-code-puk-et-suivi-des-demandes-de-desimlockage/

Sue

[quote user="Georgina"]Ok Qwilly need your input here, so i get the codes to deblock and they don't work. both myself and a french friend went through the same process separately with SFR and it says Phone Freeze deactivate fail!!! Now so far SFR through their long message system detailing how much my call will cost, has now cost me an arm and a leg. HELP anyone??? Tell me they are not having a laug.[/quote]

Well all I can say is it worked on my phone with no messages. What was actually done I don't have a clue as it was my neighbour who made the call (on her SFR phone so it cost nothing but I guess I was just lucky that day). What did they say when you got the message? I guess if I were in your shoes I would consider going to an SFR shop with all the paperwork and explain what has happened and tell them you want it fixed. If they can't fix it just leave them the phone (take the SIM out), march out and buy a deblocked phone off Ebay for 15 Euros (cheapest I saw without looking too hard).

Hi there, well I posted on here, and will await the reply.

In the meantime I went back to the shop, such unhelpfulness was astounding.  Despite my having told them I had been given all the codes twice and my french friend the same and spending hours, they refused to call some technician.  In the meantinme i get a call from sfr automated service asking for my opinion on their customer service LOL LOL LOL boy did they get it.

In the shop even though it was their phone for which i am still paying for the privelege they said they could not do anything!!! Incroyable.

I have a friend who was with Virgin and they just took the phone at the shop and deblocked it for him hmmmmm

Anyway I got the last laugh  I cancelled my payment to them, sue me I say.

I have just changed over everything to SFR and have had nothing but help and kindness from them locally. They even rang me twice at home to see how I was getting on with the mobile and Internet. I used the shop by Géant,was this the branch you went to? I was astounded to read about your treatment as its the opposite to mine, Orange yes, they were ignorant and got too expensive hence the changeover.  What I would say is be careful about just cancelling payments, it dosn't work quite the same here and beforeyou know it a Huissier will be at your door and with his costs included as you have to resiliate properly if you are not satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry late coming back on this.

But Val you were changing to use their service, I was in the middle of cancelling it!!!  As that store is rather a busy store I guess they could not be bothered.

However I went to the store at Leclerc in Morlaix and they were fantastic. I had to provide an invoice which helped me have a big clearout but they were marvellous and sorted it out straight away. Really helpful and polite.   And they rang Geant branch to ask for my details and Geant branch said I never bought the phone there DOH!!! Well I had an invoice proving it.