Port query with Foscam IP cameras using Livebox

Just a quick question of anyone on here in France, using an Orange Livebox 2 to configure more than one FOSCAM IP camera. I am having problems obtaining more than one live feed from a remote connection. It probably has something to do with the availability of open Ports on the Livebox, in that I can only use Port 80, all the other ports which Foscam users, and indeed most other Ip camera users can use, are closed (Port checking tool used). I have trawled the net for instructions, but cannot find anything specific to Foscam cameras, in France, using a Livebox2.

I would also be interested to know if anyone here in France has used the Foscam remote set-up product.

Any specific help appreciated.

Thanks for that Danny, unfortunately I have read them. Your first link is exactly how I have one camera installed, your second post is how to install multiple cameras on LAN.

My problem is the Livebox configuration for multiple cameras. I cannot get any further than Port 80 on my Livebox, no other port numbers work, ie they are closed.

[quote user="Quillan"]You can set up a port for it. Access your LiveBox via your browser then go to LiveBox, Advanced settings and click on the NAT/PAT tab. You can either use an existing device or create a new one with the settings you want.[/quote]

That is just the problem Quillan. I have done all that. The problem is that any port other than 80 and the whole thing does not work, hence I canot use my other existing devices ie 2 cameras, ie I cannot use the settings, ie ports that I want. Livebox says they are all closed, apart from 80.

Well you must have port 23 open else you won't be able to start a browser connection. You will also find 139 open as well as that is the Netbios of the router. My port scanner, from Radmin, does not show port 80 open. Give a link to your port scanner and I will try it to compare.

[quote user="Quillan"]Well you must have port 23 open else you won't be able to start a browser connection. You will also find 139 open as well as that is the Netbios of the router. My port scanner, from Radmin, does not show port 80 open. Give a link to your port scanner and I will try it to compare.[/quote]

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

This is the one I have been using. I tried Port 23 and it said it was closed, so maybe the port checker tool is c*** !

I used your program and it shows port 80 as closed on my router and then something triggered in the back of my brain from a long time ago. I had a look at my old CISCO course notes and I think this make be where things are getting confused a little. I will try and keep it basic.

Your router is basically split in to two halves, one side for your home network an the other side for the ISP. There is a translator table sitting in between that takes the IP address sent to your router via the ISP and looks it up against which internal IP address is is for (a translation table). Think of it as a train with a number on the front and the passengers being the data. Train number 46.92 arrives at the terminus (your router) from your ISP and everyone gets off and gets on a train number 192.168 because trains starting with these numbers cannot be seen on the ISP side of the terminus as they are not on the same line. when they 192.168 train arrives at the correct station the passengers are delivered.

Ports are almost the same except they open and closed when required. Think of a post office with postman Pat sitting inside. He has two doors both marked with the number 80 and they are both closed, one is on one side of the building the second on the other side on a different street. Data arrives at door 80 on one side, he opens the door, takes the data and closes it. He walks across to the other door, opens it and sends the data on its way then closes the door. If you replace the post office with a router and the doors with port numbers and one on the ISP side the other on your internal network side you can get the drift of how things are working.

In your case I believe port 80 shows as open because you already installed webcam is sending data out. On my router using your program it shows it as closed because it is not sending anything from inside my home network. In theory if you disconnect your camera then the port should close and if you run your program again it will show it closed.

We have to be careful with the type of software program we are running. Your is Internet based and is looking on the ISP side of the router, the program I used is looking at devices trying to send data round the network on port 80 so my program shows devices with port 80 on.

Try my program, which you install on your PC and you should get the IP address of every device on your network and show which ports are open and which are closed, it should show the ports open on your camera.

http://www.radmin.com/products/previousversions/portscanner.php

In theory if you plug a PC in to your router along with the cameras and you have whatever software is required to access the cameras on your PC it should see both. If you have a problem with that first try turning of any firewalls you have running on your PC.

Many thanks Quillan, when things are explained like that, it makes it easier to sort out the problem. The reason I was wanting clarity on this point is that we have sold the house and the new owners want the cameras, so I was in the process of making out instructions for them to set up the cameras to their system, which I am assuming will be using a Livebox sort out the ports. However, although I now understand things better, I don`t think that they will, and I will just advise them to buy a remote camera set-up.

So again Quillan, thank you very much for your invaluable and easy to understand reply, it is appreciated.