Information re over sea calls and temp internet

I have not got a clue about computers just switch it on and it goes.  if not I call the hubby to try and sort it out.  The brain is a little tired these days....

We have no internet at home and use telerabais http://www.telerabais.com/rates.php for oversea calls and a pay as you go mobile with orange. 

I would like temporary internet connection over christmas and also skype.  The internet in the past has been very slow.

Checked out the info on the forum about dongles and need a fairly fast speed and someone suggested Orange perhaps the 25 euros would do.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for me please?

Just looked at www.0044.co.uk for UK calls.  Has anyone used this site?  has anyone found a cheaper site?

There are a lot of simple old folks like me and I would appreciate any Non Jargon  help please.

[quote user="Sunshine"]

Checked out the info on the forum about dongles and need a fairly fast speed and someone suggested Orange perhaps the 25 euros would do.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for me please?

[/quote]

A dongle is only as good, or fast, as the coverage in your area. If your mobile phone has an indicator for 3G on it then I would suggest you use it to check that you can get a 3G signal where you want to use your computer. Once you have done that and you can get a signal that still does not mean your going to get the fastest speed available on 3G. Unfortunately the only way you can find this out is to stick a dongle in your computer (or borrow a 3G dongle) and run a 3G speed test via a website such as http://my3gspeed.com/ . Not all of France has 3G although most does. For me to get a 3G signal I need to go about 4km down the road.

If you are going to want to use a dongle to use Skype, you may find your options on non-contract dongles a bit limited. I'll come back to that in a minute.

Another thing I'm fairly sure you may meet as a problem is that, at peak holiday times (and I assume Christmas may be similarly affected) the dongles available with the best deals are in short supply as people grab them before they set off away from home, or whatever. In the summer (and well after the holidays had begun) I had to search high and low to get a particular dongle because it was out of stock everywhere.

I got this one [url]http://www.cle-3g.fr/cle-3g-sans-engagement-bouygues/[/url] which suited me best because it's "sans engagement" but also because Bouygues had a particular dongle which best suited my needs . It also offers enough actual data to allow you, if that's what you want, to use Skype. Basically, in simple terms, Skype uses a lot of data, and dongles are like mobile phones..with Pay as you Go or non-contract offers, you get a certain amount of data per day/week/month, and if you are doing something which uses a lot, then you'll run out very fast.

You need to consider - and know - which mobile networks actually have a good signal in your home. It's no good buying a dongle which won't work at home.

Also, if you're not going to use it much after Christmas, you need to make sure that you get one that isn't on a contract. These generally cost more for data than ones that are on contract, but you don't want to be paying a fortune for something you may never use again. The Bouygues one is 9.90 a month but you can cancel anytime. If you want to start it again at a later date, you can do so, and because you will already have the dongle you will only pay €1 for a new SIM card.