Watch BBCi Player from outside the UK

Mr Clair has just downloaded this on his Mac, and it works on Windows with Firefox and Chrome too.

Hola Unblocker is a browser extension that removes region locks and

allows you to watch BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hula, Pandora, and more

regardless of where you live. It doesn't require any set up and works

right out of the box.

Just install the

extension, and Hola Unblocker does the rest. You don't need to reboot or

change any setting in your browser. Currently, Hola supports Hulu,

Netflix, Pandora, BBC iPlayer, iTV Player, CBS, and Fox. (source)

http://hola.org/unblocker.html

McAfee site advisor is telling me this site / link is not safe to open so can't comment.

I use the Smart DNS service from overplay.net (only £3 / month) - have had it for the past 6 months. Works with laptop, Freesat Humax box and Samsung Smart TV which has been reassigned to the UK.

Alternatively just use filmon.com for live viewing and recording of all major UK Channels (and loads from other countries) - all totally free with option to pay for HD service.

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]McAfee site advisor is telling me this site / link is not safe to open so can't comment.[/quote]

No problem on either of our laptops.

This add-on has been checked by Firefox to make sure it doesn't have security problems.

I too use overplay which works well, but filmon stops after a few weeks and asks you to go to  paying.

I will try this idea once I have had a look around and understood how it works.....

It does say this:

Information that we collect

When you use the Services, Hola collects data about

contents that you load
from the Internet in order to assist others that

later view these contents. Hola correlates this data to your computing

device, not with you personally, and only uses this data to provide

better Internet service to you and fellow users of Hola.

Hola also stores encrypted copies of contents that you load on your

computing device
in order to provide them to other users of Hola only

when they are otherwise eligible for access to these contents without

Hola. Hola does not provide authorization for users to view content

that they could not have otherwise viewed.

In case of a Hola malfunction on your computing device, Hola may

collect log information that will assist Hola in solving this

malfunction, and will only use it for this purpose.

Doesn't work for me with Firefox Clair [:(]

Re McAfee, it's pretty well known that McAfee is crap at site vetting and since it's no more than

an 'also ran' in it's class anyway, 16th out of 25 in a recent review, I'm surprised anybody actually uses it,

perhaps it was bundled freebie. Can't think anybody would actually chose to use it. [Www]

Thanks Clair, this worked fine for me with I Player and ITV but, it didn't seem to work for American shows via any of the suggested like Hula, Netflix, ABS or Fox but I'm probably doing something wrong.

Anyway, it still makes good viewing!   Thanks again to you and Mr Clair!

[quote user="AnOther"]Doesn't work for me with Firefox Clair [:(]

[/quote]

Odd, that. I installed it as a Firefox add-on. No problem. It took me to the Netflix U.S. site with no problems. It's no use to me right now otherwise, as I'm in the UK so no IPlayer problems.

[quote user="AnOther"]Doesn't work for me with Firefox Clair [:(][/quote]

It's working fine for me as an extension on FF18.0.1 and Chrome under Windows7.

Did you install it as a FF extension or did you use "download for Windows" on the download page?

[quote user="mogs"]I think I just downloaded it, didn't recall being asked if I wanted to download as an extension to Firefox.

oh dear, not really very technically minded so what should I do, uninstall and try to reinstall?[/quote]

Uninstall then get it from HERE.

Thanks Clair I reinstalled and used as an add on and managed to watch the new US programme "The Following" with Kevin Bacon, and I thought it was very entertaining.   I watched this via Hulu so will try tomorrow to see what else is available.

Thanks again from one happy punter [:)]

[quote user="AnOther"]As an extension from your original link which takes you to the one you just posted.

The iPlayer still thinks I'm not in UK so it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Can't really see any of my other extensions affecting it.

Also on FF 18.0.1

[/quote]

I tried it on an old computer as I am still not sure of its security.

The FF extension works for ITV player after closing FF and restarting it (despite the fact it clearly says 'no restart')

Didn't work first time round with BBC  iPlayer, (also said I was not in the UK)  but then did, but I had problems with programmes which require you to say that you are over 16. I got an error message and it wouldn't play them.

Worked for others though.

quote "Chiefluvvie Alternatively just use filmon.com for live viewing and recording of all major UK Channels (and loads from other countries) - all totally free with option to pay for HD service."

The filmon record function is not free any longer , they stopped it about a week ago.

Correct - but you do get 2 hours free and it's a pittance for extra storage - should you want to keep your recordings forever!

Main reason I prefer to pay the tiny sum of £3 / month for overplay is that I use it with my Samsung Smart TV and simply use the BBC & ITV Player apps - much better than via Humax / Freesat box.

Chiefluvvie

Quick note:

The Firefox extension is older and not as up-to-date as the Chrome extension.

As a result, there are more sites listed when using the Chrome extension.

I have to use use Chrome to see CBS, Fox or BBC iPlayer in the Hola! list (though I can still access them in Firefox by typing the URL in the address bar.)

[quote user="mogs"]... I managed to watch the new US programme "The Following" with Kevin Bacon, and I thought it was very entertaining.   I watched this via Hulu so will try tomorrow to see what else is available.[/quote]

I have just watched "The Following" on Fox...

Entertaining???? [blink]

Blinking heck!!! That's putting it mildly! [:-))]

[quote user="mogs"]Just watched the second episode of The Following, it's brilliant and Kevin  Bacon as usual plays a superb character so really recommend this.

How you getting along with it Clair?[/quote]

I watched the 2nd episode and it's really got the making of a good series. Made me jump a couple of times... [:$]

Love, love, love Kevin Bacon in this. He has quite the weary face for it!

I also watched the 1st episode of the US version of House of Cards (Kevin Spacey + Robin Wright). I wish I had a US Netflix subscription...[:'(]

(link HERE. You need to use Chrome + hola - or similar - to watch it outside the US)

I'm new to Android and have tried to put the google chrome extension onto my android device, however, although I've managed to download the accelerated internet site it doesn't seem to let me add it as an extension in chrome.

Any suggestions anyone?

[quote user="mogs"]Just watched the second episode of The Following, it's brilliant and Kevin  Bacon as usual plays a superb character so really recommend this.   How you getting along with it Clair?

[/quote]

I just came across a Kevin Bacon movie this week "Stir of Echoes" from 1999 and really enjoyed it .