Can you mount a dish upside down?

Having great success with installing my new dish a friend has asked me to help them install theirs. There problem is the bigger dish now hits the gutter and we can't 'tilt' it enough upwards but if I were to mount it upside down it will fit.

So basically can you do this? Are there any possible technical problems to look out for and when working out the angles are they the same?

If you make a sketch of the side view of the dish showing its actual angle fairly accurately when the scale is set for the correct altitude for where you are, then turn your sketch upside down, you will see how the dish would have to be directed if mounted upside down.

Angle of dish will I think from memory be 90% out, so dishes which are now near vertical would be near horizontal  if aligned with the arm at the top. Downsides, solid rather than mesh dishes will fill with snows and rain. First link describes changes you have to make, and maths of alignment. Set up is apparently common in New Zealand.

http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHKWNY9fZU

Edit sorry mean subtract right way up inclination from 90 degrees to find correct tilt, but remmebr to allow for offset of bracket normally 22.5, or 30 degrees.

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]Without doing the maths, I'd say no. Not least because the LNB would be in the shadow of its own arm. Suggest that you try it (to confirm that I am right!)[/quote]

The LNB is out of the way in the same way that it is when the dish is mounted the right way up. The two links shown the arm as almost vertical which is correct.

Even if it were not there are dishes with the LNB centre mounted.

Eddie had a similar problem when putting up our new dish, due to overhanging eaves of the roof. interfering with the signal reception. He attached a bracket with a long arm to the wall and attached the dish to that, so that it cleared the eaves.

Many thanks for the answers. It is an 'off set' dish so it appears to tilt at more of an angle. Anyway I worked out that he could make the mounting plate bottom holes the top holes and just drill two new holes for the bottom bolt holes which he is going to do on Monday. I discovered that the program on my android phone does actually allow you to 'invert' the dish and then calculates to new position. Should have read the manual in the first place I guess.

Before he takes the dish down use a long spirit level and a protractor to show how much tilt you have on the existing dish. Suggest between 5 and 20 degrees. If tilt is 10 degrees to vertical now be at 10% to horizontal. I think if you have a pole mounted vertically now you will need a pole mounted horizontally for a upside down dish. I am pretty sure the LNB arm rather than the dish may now hit the gutter.