Kaspersky AV licence renewal

For reasons I won't go into now, a year ago I acquired Kasperky AV. Now it is time to renew, and every day when I boot up I have a warning to let me know how many more days are left on the licence. Finally I filled in the form for renewal, including banking details to pay by card, and was told I would receive an email so that activation can be carried out.

Several hours later, I receive the email (addres is [email protected]) telling me that to complete the deal and proceed with activation, I have to fax a copy of passport or ID card or driving licence. I have always been told I should NEVER send such details. Does anyone know if it is OK??? Is Kaspersky really Kaspersky? Of course, it is claimed that the money has not yet been taken, but...

I just rang the computer shop which sold me the Kaspersky AV package, and they don't know as they do not deal with Kaspersky by internet....

(Mr 5-E is not too pleased, as it is his plastic I used...)[:'(]

Do not fax anything.

Did you renew on their website?

If not, can you restart the process there?

nexway.fr (http://corporate.nexway.com/) appear to be an e-commerce gateway (the merchant uses their software to collect payment?)

Question for consideration (it's bound to be asked by someone!):

do you really need to pay for AV protection?

I have used MS Security Essentials, which is free, on several computers for years, without any hint of a problem.

I did renew on their website. And no, I won't fax anything. I am now looking at different forums where people are confronted with exactly the same thing. Some do send their ID, others don't. From what I am reading, Nexway seems a bona fide set-up. Apparently (take with pinch of salt), if you refuse to fax ID, then they just cancel the order and do not take the money.  Famous last words.

The question about WHY I have Kaspersky is that for years, I had great, free AV (AVAST, AVIRA, I think the last one was Avira, until a year ago.

Then I got some really, really dreadful malware (Smart Fortress one week, then the following week, the famous "virus de la gendarmerie" = both extortionist viruses, and in both cases I had to take my PC to the shop to get it disinfected since I couldn't do a thing with it - no safe mode, nothing. Apparently there are some very nasty malwares and you need special software to get rid of them? Anyway, at that point, the guy in the shop only charged me half for the second problem, saying how unlucky I was, and he suggested then that I get Kaspersky - which, naturally, he sold me [:D] - and I have to say that since then, fingers crossed, no more invasion of the body snatchers. Well, until now that is. It might be in the end, that Kaspersky is the greatest malware of them all!!!!

I have now sent a short email to Nexway to say that no, we won't fax any ID, for obvious reasons, and that we are very surprised to be asked for it! I'll see now if I get any reply to that!

Looks like I might get back onto AVIRA...hum... in any case, thank you Clair.

[quote user="Clair"]Do not fax anything.

Did you renew on their website?
If not, can you restart the process there?

nexway.fr (http://corporate.nexway.com/) appear to be an e-commerce gateway (the merchant uses their software to collect payment?)

Question for consideration (it's bound to be asked by someone!):
do you really need to pay for AV protection?
I have used MS Security Essentials, which is free, on several computers for years, without any hint of a problem.

[/quote]

I had just moved the MS security Essentials when I got a call from a friend of mine that also installed it a few months back. His computer has been infected with ransom-ware, the Montpelier Gendarme one, so I have moved back to AVG.