setting up a new tv ????

[8-)]hi,I need help,

My Thompson set had 3 scart connections while a new Samsung UE32F5000LEDHD WITH FREEVIEWHD ,HAS ONLY 1 SCART.I am not clever with setting up but have a sky digi box and connected this to tv and tried set up.Auto searh for stations done but message came up saying weak or no signal!.

On this tv it has a common interface slot.....do I have to put sky card into this........    frustrated,perplexed to say the least...

I assume you autosearched for stations on your Sly box? Or are you talking about searching for french stations from the TV setup?

If the digi box worked OK on the old tv, you wouldn't have needed to "re"search for stations, just plug the thing in to a SCART connection (making sure that the correct "SOURCE" is set on the TV i.e. pointing to the SCART, everything should be the same).

The Sky Card goes in the Sky box 

[quote user="chirpy"]

[8-)]hi,I need help,

My Thompson set had 3 scart connections while a new Samsung UE32F5000LEDHD WITH FREEVIEWHD ,HAS ONLY 1 SCART.I am not clever with setting up but have a sky digi box and connected this to tv and tried set up.Auto searh for stations done but message came up saying weak or no signal!.

On this tv it has a common interface slot.....do I have to put sky card into this........    frustrated,perplexed to say the least...

[/quote]

I think that you may be making a fundamental error.

What you seem to be trying to do is to get the TV to search for stations - which it will do quite happily - so long as it is connected to a TV aerial. Hence this is the method that you should use to receive FRENCH TV channels.

What I think you want to do is to display Sky channels on your TV, and to do this, what you need to do is to connect your Sky box scart to the Scart on the TV, and then press the "AV" (or "source") button on the TV remote control, and then select (probably) AV1.

As above Freeview = UK TV via an aerial. It should with a decent aerial be able to pick up TNT = French TV = Terrestrial TV Numerique. The CAM slot is for extra a card for extra French channels which you pay for. The Sky box with the lead to the dish plugged in should work just as before.

• 4 weeks later...

An additional question - we are in the same boat, about to buy a new TV and they all seem to have just one SCART.  We have a Skybox and a DVD recorder which use the two sockets on the current TV.  How can we get round that?  I browsed for SCART adaptors and there seem to be all sorts of switching devices, but do any of them work at the same time as each other so we could record a Sky prog?

On a slightly different tack - if we get an Orange Livebox with the TV option, does it send (French) programmes wirelessly to the new TV?  Or does it have to be plugged in?  And does the included offer of "TV enregistreur 80Go" mean that we can record/save French progs but not Sky ones?

Thanks in advance

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Chrissie"]

On a slightly different tack - if we get an Orange Livebox with the TV option, does it send (French) programmes wirelessly to the new TV?  Or does it have to be plugged in?  And does the included offer of "TV enregistreur 80Go" mean that we can record/save French progs but not Sky ones?

[/quote]

It has to be plugged into the TV

It will only save French ones as your Sky system is completely independent to the French system

First - Sky and Video recorders.

On the back of your Sky box there will be two SCART connectors. One is for the TV and the other for the recorder. This allows to record and playback through the Sky box to your TV. When recording there is no need to have the TV on. This leaves just one SCART cable to connect to the TV.

Orange.

As said the recording option is for French TV only. It depends how fast your ADSL line is as to what type of decoder you will need but you will need a decoder of some form. We only have 2mb officially (like I wish we really did)  so have an Orange decoder with a dish and also a connection to the Livebox as that is where I believe the program listings come via. If you have around 4mb you may get an Internet decoder which also connects to your Livebox. Both these decoders connect via an HDMI connector which means of course you can watch HiDef TV. The Orange decoders also allow you to watch programs in the original language (like NCIS in English as an example).

Thanks for all that - sounds as though the SCART to HDMI adaptor is just what we will need to keep our current set-up going for a while.  As for the French TV - we are promised up to 20Mb....... we shall wait and see!

Chrissie (81)