British tv in France

I came across this in a magazine a few days ago. It is a privacy tool for use with Windows XP/Vista/7 and 8. It disguises your IP address to make it look as though you are in another country.

It would seem that it can avoid geographic restrictions for, say, television streaming, by allowing you to use the IP of a country other than the one you are in.

I don't know whether or not it would allow people in France to pick up iPlayer and the like, but it can be found at here.

Been using something called expatshield which does the same thing for years, except when I bought a win 8 machine, their app didn't work on it, so I haven't been watching iplayer for some time now. Will look at using this instead. Good find.

Proxy servers like that are the reason why government snooping via things like HADOPI will always fail.

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Clair"]I haven't used ExpatShield since I installing Hola on Firefox and Chrome. [/quote]

But it no longer works for BBC, so I use it and ExpatShield if I need to catch up with a programme I have missed.

Sue[/quote]

You can import scripts (=specific modifications) into Hola to receive channels which are not listed.

The BBC iPlayer script is half-way down this page.

Turn on Hola, go to the page above and click on the BBC script, confirm you want to import and you'll be able to watch the BBC again. [:)]

I really don't know why any of you bother with Expatshield, Hola etc - so complicated (import scripts????) and both involve software downloads (not a great idea!). They may be free but quite honestly I find they simply muck up your operating system.

Just use a Smart DNS provider like overplay.net - ok you need to pay around £3 a month but you can link as many devices as you want on the same network / IP address - i.e. PC, Smart TV, Bluray Players, Smartphones etc etc. Works like a dream with all the players and film providers etc.

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Clarkkent"]

I came across this in a magazine a few days ago.[/quote]

Is this the one; pay or you cannot use it ? And it seems to leave all kinds of stuff behind when you uninstall it ?

Scroll down to read the one review.

Sue
[/quote]

I don't think so, although the name is very similar. This one is called SafeIP and its URL is freesafeip.com. I have not explored it but it does make a great play of being "free".

I too use overplay at Chiefluvvie's sugeestion and am very pleased with it

An advantage is that you can download from iPlayer to watch in HD.

I didn't know about the Hola scripts though (had given up on Hola a while back) so thanks Clair.

[quote user="suein56"]Is this the one; pay or you cannot use it ? And it seems to leave all kinds of stuff behind when you uninstall it ? [/quote][quote user="Clarkkent"]I don't think so, although the name is very similar. This one is called SafeIP and its URL is freesafeip.com. I have not explored it but it does make a great play of being "free".[/quote]

Sorry ... I definitely confused the two different names/sites.

Apologies.

Sue

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]Ultimately, there's very little I find of interest on tv these days. Anything I particularly want to watch, I just use torrents and download, but even that's rare for me to do these days.[/quote]

Torrents... now this is something I know absolutely nothing about.

Can you enlighten me in simple terms? [8-)]

hahaha

Ok, basically you head off to a torrent site, and search for any tv show, movie, ebook, or whatever you are after. Once found, you download a tiny file called a torrent that relates to this. The file then gets opened in a torrent client, something like bittorrent. Once opened, it downloads the actual file from other people across the globe who have this item. It's basically peer to peer sharing. Quite a few torrent sites have been taken down by various governments, but they keep reappearing in other parts of the world. It's one of the things HADAPI is trying to fight against I think.