My Humax FreeSat box, on a fairly regular basis, shows a message "Searching for new channels and software updates", fine, however this can last for hours and I cannot get any channels whilst it is in this mode. The only thing I have tried, which works, is to pull out the plug and start again. Is there any reason why it keeps doing this and how can I prevent it.

I don't remember ever seeing this message on ours.

This probably keeps happening because the box is trying (and failing) to update itself, and the first suggestion which comes to mind is "Could your dish possibly be slightly out of skew?"

[quote user="Clair"]I don't remember ever seeing this message on ours.

This probably keeps happening because the box is trying (and failing) to update itself, and the first suggestion which comes to mind is "Could your dish possibly be slightly out of skew?"

[/quote]

That sounds about right to me, it is looking for it's 'home' transponder.

Can I suggest you ask here, plenty of knowledgeable folks there who should be able to help.

The Humax should be put into standby when not in use... do you do that?

Also check the firmware version (Menu/System/Diagnostics). I'm on 1.00.21 for example.

There's a thread here where someone had the same problem http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs/1550915-humax-foxsat-stuck-while-searching-channel-updates.html  A bit for searching there might find a result.

I know that some people leave the Humax switched on all the time, but there's a valid point made in the above link about power consumption; in use the box consumes 50W, in standby only 1W.

Please let us know how you get on.

[quote user="CeeJay"]Thanks for all the replies.

Actually I now realise that the box is left on all the time, I just turn off the tele. Is that significant? The firmware version is 1.00.28 [/quote]

From the manual:

[quote]13.1 OTA (Over the Air)

OTA - Over the Air Software Updates will be broadcast via satellite for the product when new updates are available. Humax reserves the right for deciding when the software updates will be released. Follow below to ensure that you receive the OTA Software Updates when they are released:

1.  You are connected to a suitable satellite dish and are receiving the all of the freesat service.

2.  The signal strength and quality are at a high level; if you are experiencing problems with the signal then please do not continue with the download.

3.  The product is in Standby mode each night allowing it to detect, download, and install the updates when broadcast.

Caution:

•  Please do not unplug the product from the mains during the software update procedure; this can cause the product not to operate.

•  Please do not remove the antenna cable from the dish from the product during the update as this can cause the product not to operate.

Note:

•  For information on the release of new software or the changes made please visit www.humaxdigital.com/freesat.

•  The download can take between 5 - 10 minutes to complete.

•  During the update process you will not be able to use the product.

•  During the software update scheduled recordings will not take place.

•  You cannot schedule programmes during software update. [/quote]

Edited to add link to user manual (pdf).

That is a bit strange[8-)]

I have the latest software version on the Humax HDR here and it is also1.00.21

I think that you definitely have the Humax Foxsat HD which is the non recording box.

http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads/foxsat-hd latest version 1.00.28

As Sid says, it is best left on standby in order to pick up any software updates overnight.

Or, if you still have problems, a factory reset should help.

The manual for the Foxsat HD is here

factory reset page 46

Danny