can someone explain why I can't send e-mails

We have to check our e-mails and get internet access via Mc donalds wi.fi whilst in France. I don't have any problem with receiving and sending e-mails via Mc Donalds system.

On the occasional times I can hook up to one of our friends internet connection in France I can receive e-mails, surf the web but I can't send e-mails via their system. What is so special about the Mc.Donalds system that enable e-mails to be sent with out problem. Is there a work around to this as its annoying at times.

System is Windows XP  using Outlook express.

Cheers

Ah, yes. I used to have this problem when using my laptop at a friend's house, or at local cybercentre.

The thng is, you have to set up another "account" in Outlook Express, with your normal incoming server details, bt with the OUTGOING server details of the connection you are on.

Give that new connection a name you will recognise, such as "send from Joan's".

Then whenever you want to send an email from Joan's connection, in Outlook Express you must click kn the drop down menu for the sender (you) to which OE defaults, and select instead of your usual home "account" the new one you have set up on Joan's server. Then it will send ok.

I have to do this systematically with my uk laptop, when using it at my holiday home.

Angela

EDITED to clarify one or two things..

I also use laptop with Windows XP and Outlook Express

I found reference  sending emails from France   I had to go to a French Outgoing mail server. Click on

Tools ...Accounts.....Properties... Servers... I then looked at Outgoing Mail (SMTP)

Write down and save what your outgoing mail is as you will, need to put it back in later.

I changed mine to SMTP orange .fr  and  had no problems after that  ... I do it every time I want to use the laptop in France  But I am using EE as my UK  server which was Orange

An easier solution is not to use Outlook at all (or whatever email program you have), but to use the webmail service provided by your ISP. Then you won't have any permissions problems. Slightly more tedious, but you Outlook will synchronise your mail folders once you return home and log on normally. Orange and 1&1 have webmail access for sure, as I often use both of these.

I think putting in the Orange outgoing details often works in France because so many broadband customers ARE with orange that the chances are you will be with one who is.

But if the other persons' connection is not with Orange, you will have to get them to look into their email account to see what their outgoing details are and copy them into a second "account" set up in your Outlook Express.

Angela

Funnily enough, it is an Orange livebox that won't let me through.

I have used the same setup without a hitch in Italy, in the UK with various ISPs, and in France at MacDo's, various interet cafés and at home with an Alicebox - but the Orange livebox at the particular company, he say Non.

Are Liveboxes different to most?

[quote user="EuroTrash"]Funnily enough, it is an Orange livebox that won't let me through.

I have used the same setup without a hitch in Italy, in the UK with various ISPs, and in France at MacDo's, various interet cafés and at home with an Alicebox - but the Orange livebox at the particular company, he say Non.

Are Liveboxes different to most?[/quote]

I think you may find that when you first  try to link up with  and connect with the livebox you may have to press the "pairing " button  on the livebox which will cause the live box to make the connection   ... Have you done this ?

[quote user="sid"]

An easier solution is not to use Outlook at all (or whatever email program you have), but to use the webmail service provided by your ISP. Then you won't have any permissions problems. Slightly more tedious, but you Outlook will synchronise your mail folders once you return home and log on normally. Orange and 1&1 have webmail access for sure, as I often use both of these.

[/quote]

I think this is the best solution.

It's one reason why I use gmail as opposed to an isp email account. I use Outlook, and have all 5 of my gmail accounts set up on it. Never have any problems wherever I am because I always connect using their smtp rather than my isps. Also get my emails delivered direct to my cell phone too.

Not only that, if I ever switch isp, I won't have to worry about having to change my email account either.

I have a feeling that, somewhere in the depths of the archives, there is a solution concerning port numbers. Some years ago I read something on the forum that meant I could send my emails from the usual account even though I was connected to an orange.fr connection, but then I changed laptop and didn't get round to finding the port changes. This has prompted me to have another look.

Thanks all for the suggestions to fix the problem, will have a go when next back in France. I do know that one friend has Orange and another uses Wanadoo, suppose I'll have to have loads of different account names to cater for this.

I know I can use web mail at Mc Donalds etc, but the option of being able to download messages and reply at my leisure later on is for me better, especially when time is short and battery life to consider.

But why can they be sent via McDonalds that is the question.

JohnM, I never have much luck on searching the archives, usually the answer is tucked in away somewhere where a thread has wandered back and forth, and you have to be fairly specific on the search question.

Will gratefully accept any more input.