Stupid question time re email!

Hi all, I have tried a search and had a look at Orange website but cannot find the answer to what I think may be an obvious answer.................If I cancel my orange account for the internet etc, would I lose my email address or will it still be live?  If anyone knows or can point me in the right direction for the answer, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

And that is why I never have an email address with my internet provider as I have lost them in the past.

Get a yahoo, or aol, or google one and swop everything over.

ps maybe orange is gracious enough to let people keep them, but judging by orange's behaviour on other fronts, I wouldn't count on them doing the 'right' thing.

x2, never tie yourself to an ISP's email.

I've heard, but can't confirm, that an Orange email address will continue to work after leaving but I imagine you would have to use a 3rd party mail client to use it.

Even if it does continue it would be folly to expect it to go on forever so you would be well advised to wean yourself off it ASAP rather than wake up one day and find it gone.

Our Orange addresses are still working 2 months after we cancelled our agreement, although I think (!) we have changed everyone we care about to new addresses.  I think I read somewhere that you get approx. 90 days before it is cut off.

Chrissie (81)

This problem of email addresses and changing ISPs is why we opted to buy our own domain some years ago for a very modest annual fee. We use 1to1: http://www.1and1.co.uk/

However often we change ISP underneath, our email addresses stay the same. It makes using Orange in France in the summer and TalkTalk in the UK the rest of the year a doddle.

I know all about disposable email addresses. So, when you - let's say- join a forum using one, and then, six months later you need that forum again and you have forgotten your password, they want to send the new one to your email address. Oops! Some even expire so quickly that if a website wants to send you stuff within half an hour of you submitting your details, it's too late.

( for the record, I've never Joined any forum using a throwaway email account. In fact, on another forum I help run, I make a point of not accepting membership request from anyone using a disposable email address, for a number of reasons)

Most of the spam that goes into my orange email account in the UK is generated by Orange France, coincidentally. They seem to have passed it on willy-billy to some massive Internet marketing thingy, and you can't opt out of the whole thing, you have to opt out one by one from every advertiser they've sold your details to. So I let the, clog up my UK orange account t which I haven't visited since I left them, but all the emails are forwarded to my gmail account t which automatically culls the spam.

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]I actually have several gmail accounts. I have my main one I use for proper stuff, then another for joining up to forums, internet offers etc, and then a student account, and two accounts I use for other things. I connect to them all using Outlook, and also on my phone. Works seamlessly.

[/quote]

Nice to hear it works seamlessly. I only have one gmail account and it hardly works. Drives me potty to be honest, trouble is that it is the email address for using this forum or I'd dump it.

[quote user="idun"][quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]I actually have several gmail accounts. I have my main one I use for proper stuff, then another for joining up to forums, internet offers etc, and then a student account, and two accounts I use for other things. I connect to them all using Outlook, and also on my phone. Works seamlessly.

[/quote]

Nice to hear it works seamlessly. I only have one gmail account and it hardly works. Drives me potty to be honest, trouble is that it is the email address for using this forum or I'd dump it.

[/quote]

Why don't you change your email address on this forum then and not use your gmail anymore?