• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norman - what about viruses, are they a problem and if so what to use for protection.

As Quillan's link shows viruses are theoretically possible; but

I have used Linux for over 3 years without a virus, although it is true that as it gets more and more popular it may become a target.

to quote selectively to show one way in which the systems differ

Say an  attachment has targeted Linux machines

It will ask you for either your  password (depending on your security model).

What would be the proper reaction to this? To not proceed. The

difference between this model and the traditional Windows model is that

when you double click on that attachment in Windows, the installation

can proceed without your intervention. In certain instances there is no

"sanity" check. Click and BOOM the virus has installed itself and you

are infected.

Now naturally, if you are using a Windows machine, you are taking

advantage of an anti-virus solution to prevent such issues from arising.

He then goes on more or less to say that you should have some sort of scan in case you forward an attachment to Windows machines where it might do damage..

do you need antivirus software in Linux and I say Yes since even if the

specific virus cant infect the linux host system it could be a store

point for the virus so that when a machine such as a windows machine

logs on to that machine it could get infected. And where did you get the

virus from: the Linux machine even if it was just stored there and not

virus scanned on that machine.

On the other hand the fact of using Linux does not guard against the sort of 'malware' that can infect your browser which is not OS specific

You are right although I doubt that any of those has any conscious volition. In any case you conflate three things which have rather different aims.

If I have got a virus that I am unaware of  it has had no effects on my machine which is what I want. A virus which doesn't do anything and doesn't 'call home' seems acceptable in comparison to the horror scares that circulate

That is the only one of the three you mention that I consider to be related to the OS, since malware and spyware can be in any of the usual browsers such as Firefox or Chrome which run on both Windows and Linux.

I try to protect myself from these with a range of add-ons.

Hey, why do people keep changing the title of the thread![:-))]

Norman, I have to tell you that I tried the USB key with Xubuntu on my OLD computer and it appears that I can't download it unless I have some special software to do it.

OTOH, I have had at least 3 offers of help today alone to get Windows 8 going.

Now, I am keeping an open mind but I still would like to have a chance at Linux.

If Xubuntu is on the USB key it has already been downloaded and should be ready to go.

You may need to get the old computer to find the USB as it starts up.

To do this you have to keep pressing a specific key (often Delete or f2) as the computer starts.

You then get a screen where you can navigate to 'Boot order' and you have to make the USB key the first one.

You then press f 10 (usually) to exit that screen and restart the computer.

If all this sounds a bit alarming don't even try it, although in fact it is a pretty standard thing to do and nothing to do specifically with Linux. It is just the way of getting the computer to start from the USB (which has Xubuntu on it) and not from its usual hard disk which has XP.

The original title was PC problems, and dealt with the difficulties experienced with windows 8.

It then drifted (my fault) towards a discussion of how to install Linux, since this is a solution that Windows users could consider adopting  especially as a means of rejuvenating older machines or as a 'dual boot' to keep both possibilities open

I am sure that Macs are splendid, but don't represent a solution to someone who has just bought a new laptop which uses Windows, or has an ageing PC.

Lehaut, profuse thanks but could you possibly PM the info to me?

I think my email address on the forum is now defunct.

However, if you prefer to email, I can certainly supply you with my adresse électronique via PM?

Norman, I'm going to have a go at that fun activity you suggested!

You are right, the programme IS downloaded and the key thingy is sitting on my desk as I type.  May I please let you know how I get on?[:D] 

Norman and perhaps others:

So have ubuntu running on a laptop whilst MS gives me the run around and now considering why I give money to them, who knows I may become a Linux fan - used to administer an AIX server (AIX was / is IBM flavour of UNIX) and it is extremely unforgiving if you do something wrong, such as delete a file, in DOS you can retrieve it but in AIX it is gone.

Now with Windows, easily create folders to place documents etc. In IE a simple dropdown for favourites and in Firefox for Ubuntu could not find anything that easy but perhaps I have not looked hard enough. Also I note that Ubuntu will run Chrome as well, does Firefox or Chrome have the better usability?

And how about uploading things such as photos etc to the system.

Any help greatly received.

PaulT

you may not have noticed in Ubuntu that to see the items in Firefox you actually have to touch the top bar of the screen with the mouse, and then you have File Edit History Bookmarks Tools Help drop down menus

This is easy to miss

I use Firefox and also Chromium which is a Linux version of Chrome (and in fact a open source pre-version of Chromium)

To install it just click on the Software Center Icon on the left hand side of the screen, and enter Chrome in the search when the centre opens

Click on the Chrome Web browser icon then on install on the Right hand top

I find that Chrome is faster than Firefox but I like some Firefox add ons

In your Home folder you should have folders for Documents Pictures Videos Downloads etc

You can upload from a mobile phone etc, or download from a web page and choose which of these folders you want the photos to go in.

To download an image: right click..save image as...select from the list of folders in the pop up menu

upload from a device just plug into a spare usb socket...

[quote user="Lehaut"]Off topic but, Sweet17, I have replied to your email.[/quote]

Lehaut, if you are still about, can you look in your PMs and I will write my email address down for you.

If it's not too much trouble, it would be brilliant if you could rescue that email you sent me, copy it and either PM it or email it to the address in your PM box.

Sorry, everyone else.....I would hate Lehaut to think there has been no acknowledge on my part.

In amongst all this Lino debate [:D] I just thought that I'd mention how I was getting on.

Things weren't going well: I did the cleanup as suggested and to be honest, that didn't seem to help. (That's not say that it didn't need to be done, but the box was still diving).

Things got confused by the weekend storms - we had to knock everything off while the serious thunderstorms were overhead and our ADSL & phone were up the creek for a day or two.  Not completely, just very erratic.

Someone suggested a 'restore' to the beginning of last week and I did that yesterday.  Then a 'defrag'.  Plus, I was getting alerts from our firewall software of possible viruses, which were sorted.

Our ADSL only finally stabilised today and whilst the box has dived once or twice, it's been a bit like a spinning top that is finally coming to rest. Its not the resolution to the problem I'm sure - I'll take the PC to our local man next week and get him to have a look. Its like a 20yo car though - just a bit tired!

There is a serious side to the possible need to change over to some flavour of Linux. In April 2014, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP. There is a HUGE user base which is still using XP - including many people who have perfectly useable computers with not much memory (250/500/750MB RAM, which I know is an unbelieveably huge amount for those of us who started when mainframes had 64KB of ferrite core store in two 32K partitions, but that is "progress" for you) and which cannot take Win7 or Win8, and for which memory upgrades are not really a sensible option, given the cost of new machines.

The point is this: up until April 2014, Microsoft will be issuing fixes for flaws in the operating system which would otherwise be open to attack from the various types of malware. After April, they won't - and neither will anyone else. Anti-virus software, even if kept up-to-date, will only provide a partial protection. The only ways that you can protect such machines are either:

1) You stop using them on the internet: no email, no surfing etc, and keep them disconnected from the Internet

OR

2) You put a different operating system on them. Linux provides a very good alternative with good security.

The thing is that the baddies who pollute the internet with malware (eg on innocent websites as well as by sending infected email), know that the end of support is coming. There are probably lots of vulnerabilities in XP that have not yet been exploited and subsequently discovered and patched: after April, no-one will be patching them. There is good reason to suppose that the baddies already have a few unexploited vulnerabilities up their sleeves for use after April. Please do not be complacent about this: it is a real threat to the security of your data (eg passwords for online banking, hijacking of email and other online accounts, etc) - and recruitment of your PC by the baddies poses a threat to others.

There is no indication from MS that they will extend support and no reason for them to do so - so please be prepared.

That is true.

I am no geek. [:-))]

My advocacy of Linux came about initially because I like to tailor make things to my requirements (The French tax  spreadsheet I tried to do is an example) and be able to do things for myself cheaply or free.

Linux reminds me of the Morris Minor traveller I had in the 70s. I could do most jobs myself and could get hold of all the individual parts.

Now I am told you have to buy whole units to when a headlamp blows in a modern car.

I also like things that don't demand that I keep buying ever more expensive equipment to run them on.

I was happy with Windows up to XP, and the variety of Linux I use is not unlike it once you get past a few quirks.

In any case there is nothing to lose in trying ...especially if like me you are retired and fighting off senility

[quote user="Gardian"]

In amongst all this Lino debate [:D] I just thought that I'd mention how I was getting on.

Things weren't going well: I did the cleanup as suggested and to be honest, that didn't seem to help. (That's not say that it didn't need to be done, but the box was still diving).

Things got confused by the weekend storms - we had to knock everything off while the serious thunderstorms were overhead and our ADSL & phone were up the creek for a day or two.  Not completely, just very erratic.

Someone suggested a 'restore' to the beginning of last week and I did that yesterday.  Then a 'defrag'.  Plus, I was getting alerts from our firewall software of possible viruses, which were sorted.

Our ADSL only finally stabilised today and whilst the box has dived once or twice, it's been a bit like a spinning top that is finally coming to rest. Its not the resolution to the problem I'm sure - I'll take the PC to our local man next week and get him to have a look. Its like a 20yo car though - just a bit tired!

[/quote]

Well (and I'm touching wood frantically), the old girl seems to have stabilised with virtually no intervention on my part.  I hasten to add that I'm talking about the PC rather than Mrs G.

Loads of 'threats' thrown up by our Firewall, and all promptly actioned. They seem to have died away now.

Whether they were the cause, I haven't got a clue. All that matters is that, for the moment, all is well.

Thanks to all for the advice.

[quote user="NormanH"]

In any case there is nothing to lose in trying ...especially if like me you are retired and fighting off senility
[/quote]

This Senility you are talkiing about; persistent is she?

Sorry, not much of a joke but I want you to know, Norman, that I have, so far, had no luck downloading Xubuntu.  However, someone has given me a link to a video I can watch.

So, provided nothing unexpected comes up this weekend, I should be able to watch it.

I did that jiggling with the buttons you recommended but, jiggled as I might, it was no go....[:(]

Beware of installing any versions of Linux of Acer laptops. While the installation will appear to work well, the laptops built in wifi will often not work, neither will its sound card. Its apparently a known problem that Acer will not release open-source versions of the required hardware drivers.

I tried Linux Lite and also Ubuntu on my old laptop and can not resolve these problems, although I admittedly have not sunk a lot of time into investigating solutions yet. It is allegedly possible, just not "plug n play".

Well, Ubuntu installed on to my Acer laptop with absolutely no problems.

Also runs very nicely on an old Advent laptop.

Perhaps, ideal to install on an old laptop when it seems to be too slow especially as it comes with an 'office' suite and costs nothing.

[quote user="dave21478"]Beware of installing any versions of Linux of Acer laptops. While the installation will appear to work well, the laptops built in wifi will often not work, neither will its sound card. Its apparently a known problem that Acer will not release open-source versions of the required hardware drivers.

I tried Linux Lite and also Ubuntu on my old laptop and can not resolve these problems, although I admittedly have not sunk a lot of time into investigating solutions yet. It is allegedly possible, just not "plug n play".[/quote]

Have you tried 'Install additional drivers'?

You need to have the laptop on an ethernet access..

This is probably NOT the solution, since you have obviously done some research, but it is one thing to try

In Ubuntu it is in Sytem settings (the cogwheel on the lesft panel) Software and updates  then the last tab on the right.

In lite it is in the Menu either settings or system ..

If you want to have a tinker (I am addicted ) this page might be a start:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

gardian,

My wife thought our cooker was dying because the oven flame was low. I cleaned the tiny holes in the gas supply cover with a wire brush and then hoovered it. It now works perfectly. Not that I am suggesting that you do that with your computer.

David

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="dave21478"]Beware of installing any versions of Linux of Acer laptops. While the installation will appear to work well, the laptops built in wifi will often not work, neither will its sound card. Its apparently a known problem that Acer will not release open-source versions of the required hardware drivers.

I tried Linux Lite and also Ubuntu on my old laptop and can not resolve these problems, although I admittedly have not sunk a lot of time into investigating solutions yet. It is allegedly possible, just not "plug n play".[/quote]

Have you tried 'Install additional drivers'?

You need to have the laptop on an ethernet access..

This is probably NOT the solution, since you have obviously done some research, but it is one thing to try

In Ubuntu it is in Sytem settings (the cogwheel on the lesft panel) Software and updates  then the last tab on the right.

In lite it is in the Menu either settings or system ..

If you want to have a tinker (I am addicted ) this page might be a start:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

[/quote]

Thankyou Norman,

When I installed Linux, I had the laptop connected via an ethernet cable so it could download updates and the installation is 100% - everything works well except the wireless and sound cards.

I tried the additional drivers thing, but it does not find anything at all.

I will have a look at that page you suggested later. Fortunately, its on an old computer that I am trying to revive, not my main one, so I will look into it properly when I have some free time. Its a very good laptop - would be nice to get it running properly again.