Roku media streaming boxes

Funny enough I was looking at these and some other makes the other day. The box is not expensive but you need a supplier for the programs for which you pay a monthly subscription if you want live TV. They are OK for BBC, ITV etc IPlayer. You will also need to pay a monthly charge for your proxy server. On some of the IPTV forums you can find people who will sell you lists of dodgy IPTV streaming services for live TV although many seem to be Russian. [6]

If you have a smart TV or a Humax box you could use an Ethernet router (as opposed to a ADSL router). Connect one side to your network/ADSL router and the other to your smart TV or Humax box. Use your computer to 'talk' to it and set it up to point at a proxy server that makes it look like you're in the UK. That way you will able to use all the Iplayers. You can get an Ethernet router for around £60 that will do this.

[quote user="f1steveuk"]Just wondered id anyone has managed to get one of these working in France (proxy server etc) and if so, was it worth it, and how difficult was it to get up and running?

Ta

[/quote]

As dictated to me by Mr Clair:

We're using a £10 Now TV Roku box.

We have access to thousands of films, TV series, documentaries, FilmOn, on our TV from the internet without having to pay any kind of fee.

(for instance, I have already watched all - bar the final being shown tonight - of the US series True Detective)

Google Plex to get basic info.

With the Roku 3, you can enter your VPN details in the box itself to watch BBC iPlayer and others channels which are geo-critical.

ETA: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127636-which-is-the-best-movie-streaming-box-for-under-100-apple-tv-vs-roku-vs-now-tv-and-more

My head still spins with all this internet TV stuff but I find it interesting. I wonder if Mr Clair could explain in very simple terms how that works ? Do I take it he just bought the £10 box from Now TV (Sky I think), signed up for a VPN (which one worked ?), entered those VPN details into the Now TV box settings, loaded the Plex service onto the box (?) then off you go surfing geo-locked services ? Oviously paying where needed.

Or have I missed something ? I'm always nervous about buying all the kit and finding I need something really techie to make it work.

As dictated to me by Mr Clair:

1) Get you computer and install Plex Media Server on it. Info HERE.

2) Purchase a Now TV box from Ebay or other place. This is the white box at £10 (which cannot be used to view geo-critical channels, as you cannot enter your VPN details in it. To do that, you need the Roku 3 box.)

3) Sign up to Now TV from your computer (no fee, and quit the registration process before entering your credit card details, unless you want to enter them. Make up an address if needed (Mr Clair cannot remember if he needed to do so or not)

4) Read up from this link to put Plex on your Now TV box and access the various channels.

This works well for now, but Sky are aware that people are using the £10 Now TV box and registering with Now TV to use the box in the manner I have described. They may well decide to tighten their procedure...

Within Plex, there are private individuals who offer to share their libraries of stored films and TV series, etc, for a modest monthly or annual fee.

I binged on all 7 series of Breaking Bad last month... [Www]

Ah, that was what I was looking for!!! Sounds like I will be partaking after all, many thanks.

There are a few Roku's on "Fleabay" starting at 99p, just need to make sure it has the right leads for the TV you want to connect it to, but it seems I have my new project, many thanks!!

[quote user="f1steveuk"]Ah, that was what I was looking for!!! Sounds like I will be partaking after all, many thanks.

There are a few Roku's on "Fleabay" starting at 99p, just need to make sure it has the right leads for the TV you want to connect it to, but it seems I have my new project, many thanks!![/quote]

Glad it helped [:)]