Netgear DGN2200 N-300 UK & Orange

I am looking at replacing a Netgear DG834G which Orange say is causing the internet to drop out, I don't really want to go with a livebox, but was looking at Purchasing a Netgear DGN2200 N-300 in the UK and bringing it over to France to use, has anyone on this forum tried setting one of these up with Orange France, if so did they have any problems with speed and internet dropping.

Thanks in advance

We are with Orange and did not want a Livebox. We have a Net gear adsl modem bought in France. Easier surely as the telephone point connection is different from a UK one???   We have had it some years so unlikely to be the model you quote.

In fact we have two adsl modems, one in the house (which we usually use)  and one 50m away down the drive in the "study" above the garage. If we want to use the study one we just unplug the house one from the phone socket, plug in the study one (we obviously have phone sockets in the study) and away you go. Study one is not wifi but the house one is.  The wifi signal occasionally gets to the study but depends on the weather so not certain.

We have no problems with internet dropping out.

Mrs H

Thanks for that, the Netgear we have already is an old UK netgear, I have just fitted a French ADSL filter to the end of the cable, just wondering if anyone had any problems with compatibility with the Netgear DGN2200 on Orange France.

I had a Netgear wi-fi router that kept dropping out. Borrowed a Linksys and then a Belkin with the same results.  Someone then suggested that I change the channel it was using as there could be conflict. So, into the router settings and changed from the default channel (forget which) to something else and hey presto! stable as anything.  Funny enough, my neighbour commented that his internet was not dropping out now but he put it down to somthing magical that his ISP did

Chris, late reply, sorry.  I have done exactly this, replaced my ageing DG834 bought around 2000 and used over here until last year when I started having connection problems. I convinced myself that it was the line; we are on the edge of a small village and about 3.7km from the exchange. A technician came from FT and tested the line and declared it OK and he showed me the readings on his test meter. He pointed to my modem and said "That's the problem". I was unsure whether this was an attempt to get me to go Livebox, but as I've always used Netgear stuff from my working days I opted for the DGN2200. This time I bought the European version just for practical reasons (the power pack doesn't need and adapter).

I'm away on holiday right now, so I can't give you the settings, but as with most equipment these days it really was plug and play and my line speed was restored immediately. It's been running now for about 8 months, no problem, and I never switch it off except when I'm away.

There is absolutely no reason why any standard ADSL modem or modem router shouldn't work with Orange.

Perhaps one disadvantage would be if you wanted the VOIP service, then I'm not sure without referring to the manual (which I haven't got here), but I think you'd need a Livebox for that as I don't remember seeing a phone socket. Could be wrong!

For me it's just another instance of brand loyalty, but I worked in IT for nearly 40 years and our technical guys always used Netgear. That's not to say that other makes are inferior of course!

EDIT Pierre ZFP has a valid point; the channel numbers normally used in France are different to UK so the defaults on a French bought DGN2200 are probably different, channel 11 from memory, but you know what my memory is like! What? I didn't tell you already? Well, there you go!

I don't know what resistance to a Livebox is about.

Sure the old book style Livebox 1 was rubbish but the Livebox 2 is a perfectly capable piece if kit and unless you really do need to get into the guts of a router for customising a Livebox 2 is more than adequate for the average home user.

VoIP will definitely not work with an alternative router because Orange will not reveal the parameter you need to set it up.

The modem the OP is talking about does not support voip as far as I can see (there is no mention of voip in any of the technical specs). I guess the issue is price, these routers are priced at around £50 (or €58) which is around 19 months worth of LiveBox rental. The Livebox does however give you voip which this does not and of course should it fail then you get a replacement for free.

I was told that the voip phone number and LiveBox were linked. I took mine to a friends house once because he thought his was broken. Given what I had been led to believe I phoned my home number from my mobile and his phone rang. However when I exchanged my faulty liveBox I was told that I might have to wait 24 hours for the phone to be activated but when I got home and plugged it in the phone worked straight away. I only live an hour away from the Orange shop so they might have already have done whatever they needed to do by the time I got home.

Personally I would stick with a LiveBox. It makes things far less complicated if there is a problem we all know that helpdesk operators love to find an excuse not to help if they can, "Not a LiveBox sir, sorry can't help".

[quote user="AnOther"]I don't know what resistance to a Livebox is about.

Sure the old book style Livebox 1 was rubbish but the Livebox 2 is a perfectly capable piece if kit and unless you really do need to get into the guts of a router for customising a Livebox 2 is more than adequate for the average home user.

VoIP will definitely not work with an alternative router because Orange will not reveal the parameter you need to set it up.
[/quote]

For me this is exactly what the resistance is about. Once bitten, twice shy, and all that. I had so much trouble with my original Livebox and its three replacements! [;-)] This way I'm not stuck with Orange, not that I've needed to change so far! Old habits die hard.