Astra 2E/2F Technical Thread

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. It looks like the one thing I can't change is the transponder number (78)!  I also checked and the website doesn't have a pdf  version of the manual for the 6906 device. 

I'd better go back to my initial naive question - I am getting a (very strong) signal and receiving some stations, but NOT BBC ITV and Channel 4.  Am I looking at the wrong "beam"?  Is that right?  So where is the right one? Is it a case of physically shifting the dish or is it that my receiver for some reason can't "see" (decode) the signal.  I held my breath and upgraded the PACE software (the task that takes 10 minutes).  It still doesn't find the relevant stations.

Are they "nearby" in space (eg a case of shifting the dish a few mm right or left) or are they simply no longer visible to my receiver?  The vaues you give are for 2B/2D.  What are they for 2E?

I'm most grateful for the help.

Tarrot - Before making things over complicated and trying to enter these details I would RTFM (read the frigging manual) and do the update. I believe this will deal with all your questions. If you look at the update files included you will see there are also ones for Asia and America, there is a very good chance that you have the Asian file loaded anyway. The reason I suggested the other Astra satellites is because they were at 28.2E before the changes so if your device is out of date and does not include 2E and 2F but does include the ones I mentioned then they should be at 28.2E. Even though they are technically not there you would be picking up the signal from 2E and 2F because the transponder setting will be the same. BUT as I said do the upgrade first.

There really isn't enough information in the manual honestly (I've read it several times)  The memory stick upgrade method is for the 6908 device, the 6906 involves connecting to a computer using the COM port.  They provide is a cable to do this - and that's about it.  The instructions amount to saying "do the upgrade" but don't say how (or which options to chose). I've emailed them and we'll see what they suggest. From comments on this device on the web I'm not very optimistic.

Just a quick update. First, thanks for the help - I'm most grateful.

I eventually did find the UK spotbeam signal. It is incredibly weak. I shall have to settle (pro tem) for no reception early morning and late evening.

The useful "Astra 2 Forum" website (probably well known to everyone else!) suggests: "There seems to have been a signal strength reduction recently ... whether it's due to satellite position management, satellite

spower reduction, summer signal loss or what is not known. Possibly a

combination of factors."

So I think I shall sit tight for a while.

As for the WS 6906, I got an email reply for my request for information on how to upgrade the software.  They say: "for this you need the software".

The program you need to install the software is also on the same disk with the instructions and updates files. A rar image is a disk image and if you create a CD from it you will probably find it runs automatically and all you need is to connect the WS 9606 when asked and select America, Europe or Asia whichever you need. I also think that with the exception of the actual installation program the data files are the same for most models they produce.

You will need a bigger dish thats for sure. Down here now they are saying a minimum of 150cm but I think that to be safe you need 180cm.

Quillan, a RAR file is just an archive format https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR which can be used to archive any other type of file. It is commonmly used to reduce file sizes.

Tarrot,

you need to download the software update program from here (not easy to find) http://www.sat-link.com.au/big/satlink-ws6906/upgrade_ws6906_18022011.rar

save the file for running later.

Inside the RAR you will find

the upgrade software (upgrade.exe)

also a German set up file

Don't use this German set up file.

Use the EU BIN file from here

http://www.satlinkmeters.co.uk/satlink/6906-software-EU.rar

You will need to extract the RAR file using a program like 7zip (which is free) http://www.7-zip.org/

click on download 'type' msi file to download the Windows installation file.

Instructions for upgrade can be found here. These may or may not work for you [Www]

http://chomikuj.pl/efbodek/Satlink+WS-6906/INSTRCUTION+FOR+UPGRADING+SOFTWARE,1044793787.pdf

or here on the last post on page two of this thread

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/satlink-ws6906-upgrade-mine.157614/

or here in French

http://forum.satelliweb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7258&start=30

You only have to figure out how to get the connection working to the PC with the RS232 cable [:-))]

If you still have any hair not pulled out or the will to carry on  [:D] as Quillan says, you will need a bigger dish to really get any decent reception.

good luck

Danny

Danny,

Thanks.  I'd already done all those things and ended up trying to make sense of the instructions on the German website. There is a "translation" but it is simply wrong (it implies doing things with the device switched off!).  But many thanks for the French link - I'd missed it, and the description of the procedure sounds much more sensible. Re dish size I've just shifted up from 1 m to 1.2 m and bought a better LNB.. I think I need to do a bit more "reception research" among ex-pats here (near Marciac) before I buy a 1.5.  I can't afford anything bigger!

Thanks again for the links.

Tarrot

Are you totally sure that the 6906 doesn't let you change the transponder. Normally you scroll down to TP and use the right hand arrow button to increase the value, up to 78 which is the 2e transponder. It would make your life much easier.

When I tried that, from memory, a given channel cycled round to a maximum then defaulted back again e.g. 16/1 16/2 .....16/20  then back to 16/1 (I'm making the values up, but you get the point).  However, I could have been doing something silly.  I'll have another look.  What I did, picking up on a suggestion above, was use Astra 2D and (I think) transponder 5, which is loaded with the values for BBC 1 London. It eventually locked (the blue light came on) although I could barely detect a signal on the meter. I'm getting decent reception in the house right now, but it will disappear around 8.30 tonight.

Hi,

I'm new to this site and am hoping someone with more knowledge than me can help. Could you please give me advice on aligning our new 125cm dish. I have mounted it in on a pole which is concreted into the ground. We have a Sky HD+ box and 2 x Manhattan FreeSat boxes. Most channels apart from the usual BBC, ITV and Channel 5 are working but I cannot work out how to 'tweak' it as I really don't understand the science behind it. If anyone has any tips, hints or maybe even a contact for a professional installer in the local area that would be great. We live in Flayosc, Near Draguignan. 83780. Many thanks in advance.

[quote user="itwill12345"] Could you please give me advice on aligning our new 125cm dish.[/quote]

essentially there are three main adjustments to ensure:

side to side - horizontal

up and down - vertical

rotation of the LNB in its holder (skew) as Quillan says

There is also the last adjustment - moving the LNB in and out of the bracket although this will likely be less important if the dish is good quality.

So...using a meter or the signal quality measure on a receiver, adjust each setting until you get highest signal then lock the nuts/bolts/fixing tight on that particular direction.

....adjust the horizontal back and forward and when the signal get as high as possible, lock the nuts.

then the vertical, and as before lock the nuts.

then rotate the LNB both ways until you get the best signal. lock the bracket.

Then if possible, move the LNB in and out of its holder and see if you can improve the signal.

You should check all this on various frequencies and concentrate on the frequencies of the channels you want to see the most.

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Each group of channels is on one frequency (or transponder)

hope that helps,

Danny

Thanks Quillan. I'm sadly off back to England first thing in the morning but will be back here in 8 weeks time and will update you then. Fingers crossed all the effort of bring this dish down from the UK will be worth it!! For information there is a company called SystemSAT in North London who do these 125cm dishes for circa £125 and EasyJet allow you to take them as standard luggage because they come within their size limits. Not sure about other airlines but this will hopefully be useful to some.

You wouldn't have noticed it possibly where you live but down south it has been gone for three weeks now with just some channels early evening.

Basically they have 'tilted' the satellites to give better coverage in Scotland and East Anglia. There was a mention of it a few Sundays ago on early morning BBC TV (I am trying to think of the name of the technology program they show on Sundays). All those that bought 130cm dishes a month or two back are now throwing them in the bin. Looks like a 150 might work but more likely a 180 will be required.

You say down south. We are between Aix and Nice on the same vertical line. I really really home this doesn't cause us issues when I go down to finish it in 8 weeks time!! I've spent a fortune so far and not sure how much more I can stretch to!! So frustrating that every time you get somewhere there is another hurdle to overcome!! Maybe a VPN back to the UK and a Now TV box if this doesn't work!! You advice is much appreciated so thanks again. Will keep you posted of any progress!!

JOIDEVIE

Yes, there are some interesting comments. I noticed the statement that "sky will move later this year".  Since I gather (from the thread you link to) that sky receives substantial income from reception outside the UK (not from me, I should add) I have a query.  If sky "moves" to the ASTRA e2 UK spotbeam, does that imply that the signal strength would have to be increased to ensure adequate reception?

There is no such thing as Astra e2, I suspect that you really mean Astra 2E or F. Actually it will probably be Astra 2G which should be launched, if there are no more delays, at the end of this year. The reception 'beam' would be the same as the current Astra 2E and F satellites. If you apply for a Sky subscription outside the UK you will be refused as it is for UK only. The fact that some people did or do still get Sky 'pay to view' is because they set it all up before leaving the UK and still pay their subscription from a UK bank account. So the answer is basically NO they won't be 'adjusting' the beam so that people outside the UK can watch 'pay to view' Sky channels.

Noon today. Just got back home and all channels are gone! No signal being received, not even Sky News. Checked with other local ex-pats and same thing there, all were working fine this morning. We all have new dishes and all have worked fine (ish) since Feb/March. Any clues?

Yep changed the 'tilt angle' a few weeks back and it is the same in most of Aude. I am waiting on a 180cm to test but not holding my breath. I do get CBS and Sky news but no BBC etc. Sometimes I get an hour viewing of BBC1 in early evenings. Somebody suggested a factory reset on the Humax box, tried that and its just the same. Lucky for us our Internet speed has just been upgraded so it looks like Filmon.