Astra 2E/2F Technical Thread

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose you can't blame them.   Dumbed down though the BBC is I'd be sad to lose it (and I do pay the licence fee in Britain,  and indeed la redevance in France). 

For those who don't have fast internet access (and we don't) the loss of DSat would be quite a blow.....

I'm keeping an eye on signal qualities in Devon to see if there's any discernible improvement....

Repot from someone in the south Midi Pyrenees on another forum:

I have a 130cm dish and have most of the BBC  channels but at a  much low signal  and  quality level,  no HD on BBC    But  ITV channels are  end  stop   need to tweak the dish I hope

Which (Graham and Brenda) confirms that north of the magic line (which I have previously suggested is Arcachon through Cahors to Grenoble) there's not going to be any noticeable difference for most people.

Here in Devon my clematis-infested 45 cm dish is seeing quality improvements of a couple of %,    81 -> 83,   85 -> 87 etc etc.   So at least the power taken away from those in 30 and 31 is ending up somewhere,  although really we had enough signal in Britain already.

Those in difficulties do have my sympathies,   but apart from the most stubborn cases I suspect that a bigger dish WILL bring the BBC back in southern France,  we need to see a few more reports.   So far it seems that differences with 2F coverage in the fringes are pretty academic,   some people in Spain are getting slightly weaker signals on 2E (compared to 2f) but nothing too significant.   However, in the absence of a really big dish the removal of the BBC from the Iberian peninsular seems to have been pretty effective!

One of my ex-Sky boxes in 24 is on loan to French neighbours on a 60 cm dish,  I'll try and contact them and ask them to let me know what if anything they can see.   But I doubt there will be the slightest difference there.

OK many know I have a 140cm dish and we are just north of the Pyrenees near Quillan.

We had problems last night with the C5 stable but there was a lot of cloud cover and mist and we have had that several times in the past. Today the C5 stable are showing slight pixelation and tearing as are all the BBC channels both TV and radio (you get a clicking sound every now and again with the latter). For me it could be a 180cm dish as the final solution but we will see.

Just checked again and as the cloud has thinned and the mist has gone all is well.

Northern Ardeche - opposite Valence.

60cm dish - no perceptible change, signal quality remains very high (no numerical number just an analogue representation of the signal strength/quality.)

Maybe the Arcachon Grenoble line is a bit far north.

You could be right andyh.   I was trying to be a bit "conservative" on placing the line so that we didn't get back a flood of replies on the lines of "you said I'd be OK and now I've lost the signal"!  

And of course there are folk with just a 45 cm minidish - which may well start to struggle just south of the line I suggested.

Certainly interesting to see what's come in so far.

Another couple of reports from elsewhere:

Just north of Auch/1m dish. Some break up on BBC1 earlier this morning but OK now,. Have lost BBC HD channels though. Will try some fine tuning later.

I live close to Boulogne SG as well, I have no BBC reception on a 80cm dish. Hopefully my new dish arrives today, it's a 130/120, I'll let you know how I get on (that's in 31)