[quote user="Chancer"]

The only 2 points I would want to be sure of is the ability to limit bandwidth and the 5 Friends and family passwords.

[/quote]

Even in the old manual I found on their website it says you can lmit the bandwidth available to the Fon so I would imagine that any changes have simply added features to the system rather than remove them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"] I'm just glad I don't live in the amazingly complicated world some of you Forum crusties seem to inhabit - scary! It's little wonder Forums like this are struggling - most sane people would be simply too scared to venture in [/quote]

I am grateful for your having proposed Fonera, it seems appealing to several of us, however since then your postings have been unhelpfulland mostly baiting, are you pursuing an vendetta? If so is it against all the insane crusties or just one in particular?

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"] I'm just glad I don't live in the amazingly complicated world some of you Forum crusties seem to inhabit - scary! It's little wonder Forums like this are struggling - most sane people would be simply too scared to venture in [/quote]

I am grateful for your having proposed Fonera, it seems appealing to several of us, however since then your postings have been unhelpfulland mostly baiting, are you pursuing an vendetta? If so is it against all the insane crusties or just one in particular?

[/quote]

It will be me I guess not that I am worried.

You know what? This drives me nuts... sadly I don't do vendettas but, if I did, this would be a great place to start!

I honestly think that some of you on here could quite comfortably write a 100+ page dissertation about the inside of a ping-pong ball - and then argue about it!

You'll be delighted to know I'm done with this thread....

Chiefluvvie :-)

Seem to remember somebody doing similar, using tablets on aircraft if I remember, not allowed, interference with aircraft electronics etc, etc. Now even mobile phones can be used in data and Skype mode and some even allow direct voice calls but I digress.

Incredible!

Anyway - I've just asked how I go about deleting my account but then it occurred to me that one of you helpful chaps can help speed me out of here? Just tell me what buttons to press....

And...AnOther - I will be sure to shut the door - very firmly. I wonder what you were like in the playground as a kid?

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]

And...AnOther - I will be sure to shut the door - very firmly. I wonder what you were like in the playground as a kid?

Chiefluvvie[/quote]A strange yardstick for measuring peoples character and personality 50 odd years on !

As promised a quick update as far as the fon goes,it arrived this morning and only took 5 days to get here and that's ordering it direct from the suppliers.I have only done a quick trial and that's with it connected up indoors and so it still has to get through the 60cm thick walls,it was very easy to connect and sign up with them.I then just tried walking outside where my orange box will not work and on the fons I got an almost full signal and could still download news from the BBC.I will set it up tomorrow and try with it outdoors as that's the only down side you obviously need a power supply so needs to be somewhere dry.Once I have tested it further I will come back and let you know how its going,but first thought it seems very good and at 39 euros a cheap way of offering wi fi to our guests.

Thanks.Chiefluvvvie for all your help.

when I looked up the hadopi I found this,

The HADOPI law was revoked on 8 July 2013 by the French Government because the punitive penalties imposed on copyright infringers was considered to be disproportionate.

so is it still in place or now called something else.

Hadopi has ceased to exist and has been replaced. I can't remember which 'department' it now comes under, I think it might be 'Culture' or something like that, I am sure somebody knows. Having looked it up it would seem that they will no longer cut you off but will apply fines anywhere from between 60 and 15,000 Euros depending on activity and amount of data downloaded. I also found this.

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006069414&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006279233

It is a lot to work through with all the amendments (including the removal of suspension of Internet access) but it is all there.

As promised an update on the Fonera and its all good it most certainly does boost the signal and we can reach the lake so that's good,the only down side to be careful of is they have stopped making the Fontenna which is the outside expander..This is not a problem if you can out your Fonera outside in the dry but we cannot so need to try and find a Fontenna so if anyone knows of one for sale let me know.

So overall a great way to offer wi fi and a cheap options compared to some and easy to install.

Glad it's worked out for you, I'm sure Chiefluvvie would have been pleased [:P]

Re HADOPI:

It's disbanding seems to have been a very low key affair (another poke in the eye for Sarko and his ill considered ideas for wasting time and money, anybody remember breathalysers !) and I found this:

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/jul/09/france-hadopi-law-anti-piracy[/url]

A telling quote from the piece:

"The government has spent millions on the agency that patrols the system

and during its implementation, it only ever fined one individual €150,

disconnecting their internet access for 15 days.
"

Pretty much true, they sent out a few more fines than that but only after a couple of warnings and of course they all paid up and stopped downloading, then looking over their shoulders in fear of being sent away to French Guyana [:P] this guy probably thought like me ****em, what's the worst that would really happen so they do a public prosecution and voila now the world knows [:D]

I remember reading some figures from a French article, honly tonk millions spent and the revenue form fines etc in the low hundreds or maybe thousands, it was a spit in the ocean.

I think the new system works a bit like speed camera fines, they demand a small amount which doubles quickly, guilty until proved innocent, if you do challenge it you risk paying the huge fine in the court except for clearly the courts thought that this guy who had downloaded thousands of times only deserved €150.

Just done some more searching, interestingly no-one is now publishing how much money has come in, in fact I think that I was wrong regarding the fines, it could be zero revenue, it looks like only one prosecution and nobody has had their internet cut off.

This site shows the key chiffres in the form of graphics so is easy to understand.

http://www.bfmtv.com/high-tech/infographie-trois-ans-hadopi-bilan-513746.html

The fatal flaw with HADOPI, and other similar agencies, is that they only monitor P2P traffic and not direct downloads so any claims made for reductions in illegal downloading cannot be taken as a mark of success because they can equally mean that people are just downloading smarter not downloading less.

They may well be downloading more in fact because the chances of getting caught are so much smaller !

This is an interesting read on the subject in general with one of Sarkos inane utterances as an opener.

• 3 months later...
Well as promised here is an update on my wi fi journey after trying the fon for a while the big problem was it is not water proof and meant I had to keep it under cover and this reduced the signal a lot.So back on the internet and with some help from a friend I found the Picostaion2 from ubnt on amazon and at about £50 delivered what a great small piece of kit,its waterproof and sends the signal to the guys at the lake and they can even get a signal in the gite.If you want wi fi outside I can recommend this and its easy to fit.

Hope this helps,and thanks for all the help in the past. ,

John

I bought one of these Fon boxes, utterly useless. For a start it has to be hard wired to your existing network and its range is not even as good as the Livebox 2. With the new box you can't have 'staff' accounts so everyone has to pay after two hours. I bought a Netgear extender which is OK but will look at your suggestion. Does this also have to be cable connected or just for setup?

Hi,

Yes it does have to be hard wired up after installation but only the Ethernet cable as it gets its power through that so all electrical connections stay indoors,might be a problem getting the cable outside for some but I have just been testing this hanging out the window and all our anglers this week are happy with the signal..For me its the answer and will now install it outside correctly,but like all things in life what good for some may not be so good for others.

Without reading back I'm not sure that the two things that I and others need from a guest Wi-Fi set up were of importance to you or if it was just the distance and weatherproofing.

Do you know if this box has the facility to limit bandwidth to each of the guests to maintain a minimum to the owner?

Are you able to issue a seperate password from your own one to protect yourself if need be?

in the meantime I will do some searching myself.

Sorry not sure about this as not that technical I am afraid,all I know is that since I have installed it there has been no difference to my own speed and as far as I know you cannot issue passwords.I am sure if you go onto their site you will find all the answers www.ubnt.com .I have checked with the anglers this morning and they are all still getting a signal.

I have had a quick look on the Internet and found some of the manuals. It seems to me that this is more for professional use than home use although to simply extend your network it would be fine used at home. There are some videos on how to do a basic setup for the type of thing Johny wants although like you I would like to be able to separate my users limit bandwidth etc as well. There is software available to do this from the manufacturer but it is proper network management software so some technical ability is needed. Just Google Picostation2 for manuals, management, setup etc. It is a very versatile bit of kit it would seem at a very reasonable price.