Thanks for that, had I been searching for Fonera and not FON I would probably have found the info.

Have just read through the Fonera user manual, might be straightforward to more tech savvy people than me but it does seem to do exactly what I want, enable access to 5 guests and I can program how much bandwidth is available.

Shame we are not in the states as they sell for $5 there!!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This made me laugh [:D]

I love the French us of the word "clean"; they even pronounce it properly [:-))]

Là où ça devient intéressant, c'est que le FON 2.0 peut télécharger sur BitTorrent. Vous pouvez donc éteindre votre ordinateur et laisser votre routeur télécharger: Vous dépensez moins de courant, le routeur FON est parfaitement silencieux... et c'est l'arme absolue contre cette connerie d'HADOPI: Vous pouvez sereinement envoyer votre disque dur à la commission HADOPI: Vous n'avez rien téléchargé, il n'y a même pas de logiciel de P2P installé sur votre ordinateur. Vous êtes clean, et vous pouvez continuer à télécharger des films piratés comme un gros goret sans rien risquer (Et ce n'est qu'un exemple parmi tant d'autres de la pertinence de cette loi - enfin bref, je digresse).

My brain has just gone into overdrive and to be honest I am still unclear what all this is about,basically if I buy a Fonera and a Fontenna will this by plugging it into my orange live box extend the signal so our fisherman can get wifi down by the lake.and at no additional cost to them or me.

Sorry to be totally clueless but all this techy stuff is beyond me.

[quote user="johnycarper"]My brain has just gone into overdrive and to be honest I am still unclear what all this is about,basically if I buy a Fonera and a Fontenna will this by plugging it into my orange live box extend the signal so our fisherman can get wifi down by the lake.and at no additional cost to them or me.

Sorry to be totally clueless but all this techy stuff is beyond me.[/quote]

YES!

[quote user="Quillan"]

Do keep us informed as to how you get on Jonny as there are more than a couple of people interested.#

If you want to read the manual before it all arrives you can find it here

http://www.fon.com/manuals/M2100_1_01.pdf

[/quote]

Quillan - do stop posting out of date information and confusing everyone!! The link to the manual you have so unhelpfully provided is way, way out of date!!

FON routers have changed and been simplified significantly since they were first launched - The Fonera comes with a tiny instruction booklet that a child could follow.

Chiefluvvie (who wishes I'd never tried to help!)

Great Johny - do remember you will most probably need a Fontenna for the extended / targeted range as well. Although.... - you may find that your new Fonera will have a good enough range all by itself - it really does depend where you place it and where you need the signal. May be sensible to see how you get on before ordering a Fontenna....

Chiefluvvie :-)

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"][quote user="Quillan"]

Do keep us informed as to how you get on Jonny as there are more than a couple of people interested.#

If you want to read the manual before it all arrives you can find it here

http://www.fon.com/manuals/M2100_1_01.pdf

[/quote] Quillan - do stop posting out of date information and confusing everyone!! The link to the manual you have so unhelpfully provided is way, way out of date!! FON routers have changed and been simplified significantly since they were first launched - The Fonera comes with a tiny instruction booklet that a child could follow. Chiefluvvie (who wishes I'd never tried to help!)[/quote]

But it is from their website! So they are selling stuff with out of date manuals? Give us a link to the current one then please.

Oh for goodness sake ! I already did on page 1.

I've no idea where you're looking Quillan but this is the link, just for you, again .....- click on the product manual pdf just under the picture of the Fonera.

https://shop.fon.com/en/product/fonera

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Oh for goodness sake ! I already did on page 1. I've no idea where you're looking Quillan but this is the link, just for you, again .....- click on the product manual pdf just under the picture of the Fonera. https://shop.fon.com/en/product/fonera Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Don't get snotty with me, read my post in answer to yours.

You said that it was an old manual so I asked you (nicely) for a link to an up to date one, the link you gave before and now was to the poduct and NOT the manual.

That iquick start manual s a lot simpler than the full manual that I had previously read, here is the link

https://shop.fon.com/sites/default/files/productos/QIG%20Fonera%20FB_3.pdf

In fact it is too simple [:P][:P]

But it will probably get you going while you ponder the main manual which you will certainly need to limit the bandwidth, add friends and family etc.

I will be waiting eagerly to see how the OP gets on, its something that i will have to do but with only one or two clients until the next phase is finished and not having seen my connection slow down I have the luxury of watching and waiting.

It is very basic but as you say it is the Quick Start manual. If what was said is true in that the manual on their website is out of date (seeing as it is dated 2007 I would think it probably is) the only other source that seems to be a CD that comes with the product that may (or may not) have a more detailed manual. I am just surprised that there is no updated version available on their website. It would be nice to read one and ensure it will do what you want before you make a commitment as all you have one a persons word that you can do these things. It is just that I have believed somebody before on a forum and bought something only to find it was actually a load of junk so I have become cautious.

There are a few videos on the net for the installation, there is quite a long one that covers probably everything but the typical slow boring American youtube presentation made me lose the will to live.

This one only covers the basic installation, a sort of quick set up guide but is well produced and pretty snappy:

http://vimeo.com/22816987

looks like its very easy indeed to get up and running and you could then take your time with the Advanced bits.

The only 2 points I would want to be sure of is the ability to limit bandwidth and the 5 Friends and family passwords.

Hadopi is not a great concern to me but I know Quillan is already down the slippery slope, I dont think you as the ADSL subscriber would have any protection if guests use the friends and family passwords only if they use their own Fon account log in, after all you could equally use the F&F password to do illegal downloads.

The Fonera / Fontenna set up works and has worked superbly for me for the last few years. Take it or leave it - I frankly couldn't care less. I'm just glad I don't live in the amazingly complicated world some of you Forum crusties seem to inhabit - scary! It's little wonder Forums like this are struggling - most sane people would be simply too scared to venture in...

Johny - your Fonera will be just fine - please feel free to pm me if you need any help with it. Just ignore all the utter rubbish about manuals and bandwidth etc - nutters!

Chiefluvvie :-)

I think enough has been said about all this lets just wait until I get mine and fit it I will then come back on here and give an honest and simple report(it will be as that's all i can cope with) I am having trouble finding somewhere that sells the Fontenna but will keep searching as the states is the only place up to now.

Thanks

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Once your Fonera is on line you can allocate up to 5 additional (and simultaneous) secure logons for whoever you like - under the 'Friends and Family' settings of your router. This allows your nominated users to access the FON_FREE_INTERNET channel transmitted by the Fonera - totally FREE of charge, no time limits, no download limits[/quote]I'm sorry but you are living in  fools paradise.

Allocating individuals a user name and PW to access your FON hotspot for free will NOT absolve you from their nefarious activities.

If they log in with their own FON user ID's or Facetwit etc. then fine, those are unique to them and therefore fully traceable, a self created login however could just as easily be you and you have no way whatsoever to prove it wasn't, ding dong, HADOPI calling !

Orange have their own FON like system called partage and it works in exactly the same way, a section of WiFi is hived off and given the SSID 'Orange' and other Orange customers who opted in by enabled partage in their own Liveboxes can log into it with their own credentials.

Alternatively you make one up with whatever credentials you choose, their surnames for instance !.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]You can allocate up to 5 different free sign-ons for customer use (I

just use their surnames)[/quote]

Your neck is in the line with each and every one of those, how you even imagine that it isolates you ?

Last night or early morning we had a power cut so when I went to read the replies it took me to the first post in this thread and to be honest it seems to have gone a million miles from what Jonny originally asked which was to extend the range of his WiFi so his fishermen/women can use it. He also didn't want to run a (RJ45) data cable from his house.

To be honest the first couple of replies gave good solutions that may well do exactly what he wanted. If he has a power outlet over in the direction to the lake (all other devices would at least need power) then a simple WiFi range extender will do the job. It needs to be in range of the WiFi router and then retransmits the Wifi signal giving a longer range. If there is a suitable power point then one of these will do the job and looking at the reviews on the Web it seems that Netgear comes out top. If you buy one from Amazon and it does not do what you want you can simply return it and it only costs €50. The installation is simple, there is no setting up, it is basically plug and go (or plug and play as it is really called).

http://www.amazon.fr/Netgear-WN2500RP-100FRS-R%C3%A9p%C3%A9teur-universel-Wifi-N/dp/B007CFOT1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401350457&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+wn2500rp

If you are not worried about HADOPI then simply turn off the security and your fishermen/women can connect without a password etc.

If you are worried about HADOPI then you need something a bit more clever which is what the Fon and other systems are. With these systems people can either use it for free or pay if they don't have an account. These systems are separate from yours i.e. the user is connecting to somebody elses WiFi via your router and you are not personally responsible for anything they do like downloading pirated stuff. OK they are just using a mobile phone but one of these with 16GB capacity can store around 10 HD films (just to give you an idea as to what is possible). They can do this even when calling somebody and just leave it running during their stay with you.

Using the Fon as described by Chieffluvvie is not HADOPI compliant and will not shield you from them if somebody decides to illegally download stuff and Another has given the reasons why.

So really we are talking two about two totally different things.

I have been 'caught' by HADOPI after 10 years of running an unsecure WiFi. They can tell what was being downloaded, from where and the time and date it was done. 10 years is a pretty good run I guess but if it happens again they can pull my Internet access which would kill my business.  The reason I am quite interested in the Fon system is you don't have to buy credits in advance just at the time of connection. That is why I am very interested in what it can do and want more specific details. It uses PayPal to collect the payments and I already have a PayPal account and it is cheap. At the moment I use the Orange system which is much the same except you need to buy a 'pass' in advance if you're not an Orange user which is a pain for the users.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.