adding telephone socket

I would like to add an additional socket from the FT test socket.Could someone please advise on how to wire this? There appears to be two rows of terminals inside the test socket on the right hand side marked A & B.The bottom row (B) is longer. Normally I would have used the grey and white cables but I cannot make out where these should go as they don't appear to be numbered.Any suggestions please???

Have you resolved this yet?

Normally the telephone only needs 2 wires, as you say, the grey and the white, connected to terminals 1 and 3 of the T-type socket.

If your setup is different (I don't know what a test socket looks like, we don't have one) a photo would be helpful.

Don't you have any phones connected at the moment?

EDIT: In this photo the 4 pairs arrive at the socket but only the white and grey are connected to the next socket.

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k611/basstrom79/NArrivPris4p_zps08fabcb4.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="rikn78"]I would like to add an additional socket from the FT test socket.[/quote]

Being in the same situation and having done some research re the TEST socket I found this :

'La prise de test " DTI " est installée, la plupart du temps, à l'arrivée de ligne fixe FT.

Cette prise, comme son nom l' indique, est réservée aux tests, car lorsque vous l' utilisez, elle isole complètement toute les prises qui sont raccordées derrière, c'est la raison de la recommandation de l'utiliser que pour tester la ligne entre le logement & le Dslam ou est connectée la ligne.'

Though we haven't tested to see if that is actually what happens.

Sue

Thats exactly what it does, no problem with using it as your only socket and no problem wiring extensions from it but you must use the second, isolable, set of terminals for this, under no circumstances should you piggy back the wires, once you have extension sockets the master one should no longer be used except for tests as it will indeed isolate the others.

I could not remember the pin numbers, its 2 and 5 in the UK, if you are using pulse dialling there is a 3rd wire to connect, terminal 3 in the UK but no-one does in these days.

Chancer, What does this box look like? A picture would be very useful.

EDIT

Using the term "prise de teste DTI" from Suein56's post I found a lot of images for this box. I haven't posted any as they were all copyrighted. There's a version for RJ45 and another for the T-type connection.   I found the "arrivé" and "départ" labelled differently and contradictorily in various pictures, so I am completely stumped! Some show a surge protector (I think!), others show a condesor as well, and some show one or both omitted.

At the moment I have nothing connected to the socket.

Not sure how to post picture on here so here is a link to a picture of the box http://www.forum-orange.com/forums/img/users/8106_IMG_5454.jpg

This shows blue and white being used but the FT engineer was very insistent that I should use orange and white!???

[quote user="rikn78"]At the moment I have nothing connected to the socket.

Not sure how to post picture on here so here is a link to a picture of the box

[IMG]http://www.forum-orange.com/forums/img/users/8106_IMG_5454.jpg[/IMG]

This shows blue and white being used but the FT engineer was very insistent that I should use orange and white!???[/quote]

You do have something connected to it, the cable on the right which presumably goes to the working telephone point, as opposed to this master socket which should only be used as a test point.

The reason he is saying use orange and white is to distinguish the derivation from the one you already have, its good practice.

To connect your new socket bring the wire into the test socket and connect the orange and white wires to the next pair of free IDC terminals on the right labelled A and B. You should really use a Krone tool which pushes the wire in, the IDC socket bares it and makes contact and the Krone tool trims off the end.

If it helps your cabling you can connect your new extension direct to the existing one at the other end of the blue/white pair in the same manner.

hope that explains and doesnt complicate things.

Editted, I now see that it isnt your box but a link, better than any that I could find, you cable up your extension just as the blue/white pair have been done on the right, your box may have a capacitor fitted in the top, removing these can help ADSL so I am told.

• 1 year later...
Bit of a numpty here, but I am trying to wire up an extension phone socket from an existing extension socket by piggybacking the two wires, and as you rightfully say, its not working. Do I have to connect all extensions back to the main first telephone box, or can I run a new extention from an existing one just using the same white and blue/grey wires? Many thanks in advance

Al