After moving around France years back using cheap sky boxes to get bbc radio and channel 5 and later free view via a card and then a Manhattan Plaza without a card

Its now impossible to receive free sat UK TV short of a Jodrell bank set up. For the last 8 months I have been using Unotelly a dns service via my puter a brilliant co

What is available as a top box to receive UK telly as a cheaper option to a laptop

I am happy with what I have but it just makes life a little more difficult with all the wires

Don't know about Jodrell bank but a 130cm dish will work in Quillan (except in heavy ran like last night but then it didn't before).

This system will work with an HD flat screen TV.

Anyway the most popular system used is to buy a cheap Android tablet, a 7" will do. You can get them second hand off Ebay. The next thing you need is a Cromecast 'key'. you can buy these from Amazon.

For 'catchup' TV use the Android App from UnoTelly, installation instructions are on their website and the App can be found in the Google Playstore

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.unotelly&hl=en

For live TV you can install FilmOn, you don't need SmartDNS or a VPN to use this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.filmoncom.android

Both applications support Cromecast so you plug the Cromecast key into an HDMI port on your telly (you need an extra power socket to power it up) and now your TV connects to you Tabled via your in-house WiFi, i.e. no cables.

Amazon have a 'special' on Cromecast at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00I4WQ618

Basically your cheap Tablet then become a remote control for your telly and the Cromecast key puts what is playing on your tablet directly on to the TV.

If you go this route and need help setting it up (I have done a few in Quillan) then PM me.

Note - If you have a really old TV that does not have a TV with an HDMI port then you will need a converter. The following seems to have good reviews but I have not used one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/wikson-electronics-Composite-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00LNA07PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417330496&sr=8-1&keywords=convert+hdmi+to+scart

[quote user="CeeJay"]Quillan
Unfortunately not all tablets support Chromecast. For example my 2012 Nexus7 will not although all other Nexus do!!
[/quote]

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 should be OK and now the 8" version is out you should be able to get a 7" cheap after Christmas. I bought mine for ā‚¬67 Euros plus postage in January (2014). The guy selling it said it had lost memory after the Android update but a quick Google said all you needed to do was a factory reset and that it was a known problem which I did and hey presto no problem. I always do a factory reset anyway when I buy second hand to clear out all the data and apps just in case.

I just checked on Ebay UK and you can still pick them up (in some cases new) for under Ā£100 (See HERE). They will be cheaper in January.

As for your problem you might find the following link helpful unless you tried it already.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193

Quillan

Thanks for that, but at the moment I am, along with thousands of others worldwide, pulling hair out after the 4.4.4 update will not allow me to authenticate and connect to the internet. Google remain very silent on this common issue!!!!!!

[quote user="CeeJay"]Unfortunately not all tablets support Chromecast. For example my 2012 Nexus7 will not although all other Nexus do!!

[/quote]I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and Chromecast works perfectly on it !

I also have 4.4.4 and have no problems connecting to the internet with it either.

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="powerdesal"]'' For the last 8 months I have been using Unotelly a dns service via my puter a brilliant co ''

What is a ''puter'' ??????[/quote]

It translates in French to "Ordi" [:D]

[/quote]

Or perhaps "nateur" to be pedanic, but I accept that I have heard "'puter" rather than "comp" used as a VERY colloquial abbreviation for "computer" in the UK and of course "ordi" in France.

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="nomoss"][quote user="powerdesal"]'' For the last 8 months I have been using Unotelly a dns service via my puter a brilliant co '' What is a ''puter'' ??????[/quote]

It translates in French to "Ordi" [:D]
[/quote]
Or perhaps "nateur" to be pedanic, but I accept that I have heard "'puter" rather than "comp" used as a VERY colloquial abbreviation for "computer" in the UK and of course "ordi" in France.
[/quote]

A lot of people, both in France and the UK call them PC's or Laptops.

[quote user="CeeJay"]Quillan
Thanks for that, but at the moment I am, along with thousands of others worldwide, pulling hair out after the 4.4.4 update will not allow me to authenticate and connect to the internet. Google remain very silent on this common issue!!!!!!
[/quote]

CeeJay - Mrs 'Q' has just got back from the UK and during that time her Nexus 7 updated to Android 5. You can complete the update via a USB and a PC, the following link below tells you how to do this for 4.4.4 but if you do a bit of hunting around I am sure you can do the update to 5. I think you should backup all your data and do a hardware factory reset first and if that does not get you a WiFi connection try the update by USB.

http://www.ibtimes.com/android-44-kitkat-update-how-manually-update-nexus-7-latest-android-firmware-tutorial-1469800

On return home Mrs 'Q's Nexus connected to our WiFi network first time without problem.

[quote user="Quillan"]Mrs 'Q' has just got back from the UK and during that time her Nexus 7 updated to Android 5.[/quote]The problem at the moment is that forcing an upgrade to Android 5 is destructive in that it wipes the device meaning that you will have to reinstall all your apps plus redo their individual settings etc.

If you have a problem, as per Cee-Jay then that might not be such a bad thing but for others who have no issues perhaps not the best idea.

The official OTA release will not do that.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Quillan"]Mrs 'Q' has just got back from the UK and during that time her Nexus 7 updated to Android 5.[/quote]The problem at the moment is that forcing an upgrade to Android 5 is destructive in that it wipes the device meaning that you will have to reinstall all your apps plus redo their individual settings etc.

If you have a problem, as per Cee-Jay then that might not be such a bad thing but for others who have no issues perhaps not the best idea.

The official OTA release will not do that.

[/quote]

Whoever told you that you can tell them they are wrong because it doesn't. If all her Apps had disapeared I can assure you I would know about it, and yes it is Android 5 I checked. It is a normal Google update. The machine does take longer to boot up but then a lot of memory has been used to store books.

Q

Thanks for that, I actually removed all the apps I had downloaded and thus far it seems (!!!!!) to be working alright, so I shall now download them again one at a time and see what happens.

Presumably update 5, is it called Lollipop ?, will come along soon naturally so will wait until then, I have a horrible failing that to force an update will be my undoing!!!!

Pity I'm having trouble as it is a great piece of kit, when it works, and I shall be taking it to New Zealand for Jan & Feb so will be relying on it.

[quote user="Quillan"]Whoever told you that you can tell them they are wrong because it doesn't.[/quote]It came from here but it is a month old so in a fast moving world perhaps already out of date !

[url]http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/download-android-5-0-lollipop-for-the-2012-nexus-7-wi-fi-right-here[/url]

Personally I'm quite happy to wait for 5 to come along in it's own sweet time, I have no pressing issues either on my 2012 Nexus 7 or Android phone and it's a long time since I felt the need to be an early adopter !

EDIT:

Just seen this which also says that forcing an upgrade will wipe the device because to do so means unlocking the boot loader.

[url]http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-upgrade-your-nexus[/url]

I'm sure there are more ways to skin this particular cat though [;-)]

[quote user="CeeJay"]Q
Thanks for that, I actually removed all the apps I had downloaded and thus far it seems (!!!!!) to be working alright, so I shall now download them again one at a time and see what happens.
Presumably update 5, is it called Lollipop ?, will come along soon naturally so will wait until then, I have a horrible failing that to force an update will be my undoing!!!!
Pity I'm having trouble as it is a great piece of kit, when it works, and I shall be taking it to New Zealand for Jan & Feb so will be relying on it.
[/quote]

Mrs 'Q' was in the UK and she got the (automatic) update to 5 whilst there as part of the normal updates (possibly the second or third week of November). Her Nexus is not rooted or changed in any way from a standard Nexus 7. Perhaps there is a delay in France for some reason.

She took a lot of work data with her as well as several applications and as I said none of them were affected. Being her first time using a Tablet I am 110% sure I would have got an ear bashing over the phone had she lost her data. The only application she has a problem with is Accuweather which keeps stopping for some reason but I am sure a fix will be released soon, they normally are within six to eight weeks.

So I can categorically say that you will not loose your data nor will you lose your applications. You should not have to force a Nexus to update (mine has done it three times since having it) it will happen autmatically which is probably the reason AnOther is getting confused as the two links he is giving is to force an upload of an unauthorised version, possibly a beta release.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="CeeJay"]Q

[/quote]

Mrs 'Q' was in the UK and she got the (automatic) update to 5 whilst there as part of the normal updates (possibly the second or third week of November). Her Nexus is not rooted or changed in any way from a standard Nexus 7. Perhaps there is a delay in France for some reason.

She took a lot of work data with her as well as several applications and as I said none of them were affected. Being her first time using a Tablet I am 110% sure I would have got an ear bashing over the phone had she lost her data. The only application she has a problem with is Accuweather which keeps stopping for some reason but I am sure a fix will be released soon, they normally are within six to eight weeks.

So I can categorically say that you will not loose your data nor will you lose your applications. You should not have to force a Nexus to update (mine has done it three times since having it) it will happen autmatically which is probably the reason AnOther is getting confused as the two links he is giving is to force an upload of an unauthorised version, possibly a beta release.[/quote]

Whilst we were over in France my Nexus 5 received an upgrade to Android 5. Since we were in "Ohhelldon'ttrustthisdon'twanttopossiblyloseeverythingjustatthismoment" mode, I held off installing the update until we returned to the UK. I have now let it install and everything has worked impeccably. No need to reinstall anything or reinsert settings or owt like that.