Lost BBC live radio

Until three weeks ago we could listen to live BBC radio on our laptop using the BBC website, as well as getting old radio progs on demand.  Now we can only do the latter and listen in the past, as it were.  When trying to access live radio, a box comes up saying they regret "the sound of silence".  Is it just us?  Is there anything we can change (media player sort of thing?)

Chrissie (81)

Hi Chrissie,

The BBC have discontinued radio stream with WMA,  this would affect you if you use an internet radio that has a pre selected station on a WMA stream, if so you just browse through a long list of internet radio stations and select the 'new' BBC stream you want.

(this comment is relevent because on my internet radio there was a pre recorded statement that WMA was discontinued)

I have just listed BBC via google on my laptop, clicked through to iplayer radio and live stations work O.K.

Hope you get your radio stream back

Thanks everyone - it would seem that our (less than 2yr old) Dell laptop does not support HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) and Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), although I have no idea how to check this.  I did look at all the programmes and applications we have to see if any of them looked like the one that would play the BBC live radio (in my case rather like looking vaguely under a car's bonnet to see what might be making that funny noise...) and the only things that looked likely were Adobe Air (which I uninstalled - with no change), and Windows Media Player, which I presumably need for other things and so don't dare uninstall.  Forgot to say we use Windows 7.  Guess for the moment we will have to live with live radio off the satellite box and gnome.  Not a real hardship, just irritating.  Would be much more annoying if we lose the ability to listen to past radio progs on demand. 

Chrissie (81)

It's not the hardware. I don't listen to the radio via the internet but I went to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 and then clicked on the "Listen Live" button, there was a popup and it worked OK. I then used the URL of the popu into my browser (IE) after exiting and restarting and that worked OK without problem  using the following link http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_two . My desktop is six years old and I a using MS Vista 64bit.