Poor satellite signal? - 46

Just returned to our house yesterday... TV signal - Freesat - fine last night. Today a bit variable.. broken image/no signal throughout daylight hours..

Strength 70%, Quality 60%.

This evening it seems to have improved and signal stable.   Any atmospheric reasons?

We are in 46, east of Cahors., west of Cabrerets.

It's a bit weird.  I have a twin lnb going through a stacker/destacker (80cm dish) into a Humax Freesat box.  Earlier today the diagnostics on the Humax were showing Tuner 1 strength 

in the 70% area and Quality 60%., Tuner 2 zilch, nada, zero.

Now both tuner 1 and 2 are showing 70%+ for both Strength and Quality and the picture is good.

???? Atmospherics?  No idea!

There is a lot of thick cloud about. You shouldn't have a problem with standard def channels but experience has shown that ITV HD tends to go first and as the conditions worsen you start to lose the rest of the HD channels (BBC1 etc). I wouldn't go tinkering, it will all come back when the weather improves.

The problem has been across channels but I've been primarily watching BBC1 (SD version). Although I have HD available I never bothered trying that once the problems started.  Tonight all has been fine on both BBC1, BBC2, ITV3.  Just tried BBC1 HD and that seems OK now.

I guess I'll wait until the morning and see what happens then.   The weather here today has been mainly sunny with a bit of a breeze (but not excessively strong).

[quote user="DerekJ"]The problem has been across channels but I've been primarily watching BBC1 (SD version). Although I have HD available I never bothered trying that once the problems started.  Tonight all has been fine on both BBC1, BBC2, ITV3.  Just tried BBC1 HD and that seems OK now.

I guess I'll wait until the morning and see what happens then.   The weather here today has been mainly sunny with a bit of a breeze (but not excessively strong).
[/quote]

Humax boxes conver HD to SD if you use a SCART.

Last night we lost ITV HD followed by BBC3 and 4HD but BBC1 and 2HD were OK, a lot better than last year at ths time. The rest were all OK. I wouldn't worry to much, it can happen this time of year. With the wind coming from the south you often get 'polution' in the form of sand from the desert across the Med. Last year this was a really big problem and even affected things in the UK. I have a 1.5m dish (I am a lot further south than you) and even I get these problems.

Thanks for the feedback.  Our Humax box feeds the TV via a HDMI cable so we do display HD if on the appropriate channel.

This morning we have a good picture and the diagnostics (on BBC1 SD) are showing around 70%+ for Strength and Quality and around 60%+ on Tuner 2.

What is confusing me is why yesterday Tuner 2 was not registering a signal.

I guess we'll see how things develop.

[quote user="DerekJ"]Thanks for the feedback.  Our Humax box feeds the TV via a HDMI cable so we do display HD if on the appropriate channel.

This morning we have a good picture and the diagnostics (on BBC1 SD) are showing around 70%+ for Strength and Quality and around 60%+ on Tuner 2.
What is confusing me is why yesterday Tuner 2 was not registering a signal.

I guess we'll see how things develop.
[/quote]

I have noticed these diferences between tuners, don't know why but it seems normal.

Very interested by this since in the last couple of months we have lost Channel 5 (in its various guises) in the evening. Signal strength and quality both at zero, while other channels show minimum 75% quality and higher strength.

I have no explanation and it does not seem to relate to obvious weather conditions.

In each case the next morning all is fine. I am completely bemused, unless it is someone trying to experiment on the beam width with Channel 5.

Means you're on the edge of the signal and need a bigger dish. We went through all this last year. I went from a 90 to a 120 still with a few problems from time to time and am now on a 150 which is OK 95% of the time. As has been pointed out so many times by so many people that when it comes to TV reception and dishes size is everything.

Update - Funny enough last Monday I videoed NCIS on C5, the new series which is on past my French bedtime. I got round to watching it today and there are pixels that got steadily worse resulting in loss of signal about five minutes before the end which is about 23:00 CET. [:P]