free wifi for guests

Hi all, sorry if this has been done to death, but, I have been asked to provide wifi for guests and would like to know the best way to go about it for security! I have an orange box and my main concern is if I give them the code, they can access my home page. This happens whenever I have had a code for wifi in other places I have stayed in who have an orange box and can access their emails and account info!! I don't know if this is because I am with orange, but for obvious reasons, I don't want this to happen to my info. What is the best way to set up a system that protects my personal/private info but keeping others happy! Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance

If I understand your concern correctly, you are worried that a user could access your Orange account and thereby your email? Your computer connects by default to your Orange "portail". The simplest course of action is to make sure that you don't leave it open, so log-off (déconnexion) when you are not using it, thereby forcing you, or anyone else, to log-on next time.

You don't need to give your Orange password to anyone else, they just need the password to the Wi-Fi network, which is not the same thing; it's known as a WEP or WPA password. I set up a separate access for guests which means that I can turn it off if needs be. Remember that you'll have no control over what gets downloaded, but you would be held responsible for any wrongdoing. We have a low ADSL speed here, only 2 mega; anyone trying to stream films etc seriously hammers the service.

I use a Netgear modem/router and there is a setup menu for guest Wi-Fi making it very easy to do. I've no idea about Liveboxes.

This is the same for every Orange client. It happens because you only have one (i.e. the principal) account. In order to stop this automatic recognition, you simply have to create a secondary email address in your 'espace client'.

Instructions here http://assistance.orange.fr/ne-pas-etre-automatiquement-identifie-sur-orange-fr-544.php

Once you have done this, you will need to enter your Orange password in order to access your email/espace client. Make sure that you have this to hand before you change this!!!

No one esle will be aable to see you emails or have control over your account.

This is a separate issue from others using your internet service. As the account holder, you are still always responsible for any use of that service in case of any illegal activity.

Danny

Q, I've certainly seen this when testing out a visitor's laptop connection. I was connected immediately to my Orange portal. I just logged off and that solved it. I no longer use the Orange webmail now so there's nothing to see there!

[quote user="sid"]The simplest course of action is to make sure that you don't leave it open, so log-off (déconnexion) when you are not using it, thereby forcing you, or anyone else, to log-on next time.[/quote]

Sid, anyone using the Orange connection has access to the account, even if you do not use a Livebox [:-))]You are automatically logged in and you cannot disconnect unless you have more than one account associated with your Orange service.

Danny

[quote user="josie"]I have been asked to provide wifi for guests and would like to know the best way to go about it for security![/quote]Creating a second A/C fixes the eMail issue but does nothing to address the other major security issue of illegal downloading by guests.

I know a fair bit about this stuff but still have no real idea of how I

would secure my internet connection against abuse by guests if faced

with the problem, there seems to be no practical way to do it other than perhaps providing a computer for them to use under supervision and I can't see them appreciating that !

It's been a hot topic several times but not recently and I wonder what solutions people have found or are they just riding bareback with their fingers crossed ?

I believe Q has had at least on letter from HADOPI and I can't believe he's the only one.

[quote user="josie"]Hi Quillan, the answer is yes![/quote]I think you may have misunderstood the question.

Orange customers can enable 'Partage' or WiFi sharing on their A/C's, that creates a totally separate and isolated WiFi signal called 'Orange' which anybody else who has similarly shared their WiFi can log into.

That is the Orange Q is referring to, you cannot rename a Livebox to Orange so it must be so.

Well, I understood using the 'Orange WiFi' as just using the OP's livebox and I think that's what Quillan meant too. True, it was not very clear. Maybe he can tell us what he meant.

The shared wifi service is only useful for other (French) Orange customers anyway - not much use for any guests from abroad.

Danny

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="josie"]Hi Quillan, the answer is yes![/quote]I think you may have misunderstood the question.

Orange customers can enable 'Partage' or WiFi sharing on their A/C's, that creates a totally separate and isolated WiFi signal called 'Orange' which anybody else who has similarly shared their WiFi can log into.

That is the Orange Q is referring to, you cannot rename a Livebox to Orange so it must be so.
[/quote]

Exactly, it is called an Orange Hotspot, since the last update you don't have a choice it is activated automatically but you have the option to turn it off. If you do that then you cannot use the Orange WiFi network in France for free. If you already have an Orange email account you can connect useing your login and password. If not you can buy time from Orange. Somebody suggested I try Fon but it was a total waste of time and money. I have found with the Orange box that if ou plug in another WiFi 'base station' and give it a name like Guest the LiveBox does not show the individual users because it does not understand what you have done. The logic, if you can call it that, is why would you do this if the LiveBox comes with WiFi so we won't do anything about it. That way if I attach to the guest network and go to the Orange website hoeage it does not present with me logged in.

[quote user="Danny"][quote user="sid"]The simplest course of action is to make sure that you don't leave it open, so log-off (déconnexion) when you are not using it, thereby forcing you, or anyone else, to log-on next time.[/quote]
Sid, anyone using the Orange connection has access to the account, even if you do not use a Livebox [:-))]You are automatically logged in and you cannot disconnect unless you have more than one account associated with your Orange service.
Danny
[/quote]

Danny, It's at least four years since I had this problem, stumbled across by accident fortunately, so I've forgotten the exact sequence, and which "fix" did in fact fix it! I thought that "déconnexion" sorted it, and I was certain that I had to enter my password next time (otherwise what's the point of a password?), but you are very possibly correct in saying that you need another account to "force" a log-in. With 2 accounts set up I certainly don't have the problem now.

I don't use Livebox, so I've no experience of the Orange Wi-Fi access referred to later; it sounds different to what we require here, a simple access point. With a Netgear router it's possible to create a straightforward Wi-Fi (guest) network for other people, which can be switched on and off and secured with a password. When our grandchildren are here for example, I usually switch it off when they go to bed (sounds draconian eh, but I'm old fashioned... they're only 10-13 years old, and bedtime doesn't mean another hour chatting to friends back in UK!). As ANO has pointed out, this gives no control over what is actually accessed or downloaded.