I live in Burgundy and I can only get Channel 5 TV, or the other 5 channels, intermittently. Everything else is ok. Anyone else having this trouble? Has something changed that I don't know about?

Patrick

We have had problems with Channel 5, 5US and a couple of others. This is because we are in the middle of a massive solar storm which as well as causing massive weather disruption (heat wave in the UK at 32/34 deg C) causes massive disruption to communications of all types which includes your satellite TV. It's specific frequency bands which seem to be around two or three specific transponders on the Astra satellites.

For more in-depth information try Googling "Solar Storm 2015" but ignore the film of the same name.

Many channels have changed transponders over the last few days, it is possible a rescan may find them.

It is because Astra 2G is now in service, and all channels that were on the old Eutelsat at 28.2/28.5 have (or will be moved this week) to Astra 2E or 2F or 2G. Many will use the same frequencies, so you may not notice any change with some channels. However quite a number are/will be on new transponders, and unless you have a Freesat or $ky box you may well have to rescan to find them.

Also, some that were previously on a European beam, will now be on a UK beam, including the Freesat EPG.

[quote user="AnOther"]Nothing abnormal noticed here (46) and that's running 3, sometimes 4, Sky boxes off a self installed 850cm dish and quad LNB

[/quote]

I think with an 850cm dish you should be OK with signals coming from the moon, never mind a man made satellite [:)][:-))][:D]

Danny

[quote user="AnOther"]Nothing abnormal noticed here (46) and that's running 3, sometimes 4, Sky boxes off a self installed 850cm dish and quad LNB
[/quote]

Wow, that's some dish! I imagine it looks like a smaller version of Jodrell Bank! [blink]

Just to reiterate, I'm still on a 60cm dish, with a Humax box, no problems with any of the Freeview channels (apart from an interruption caused by the storm last night during the women's football semi-final). In fact, I haven't noticed any changes at all over the past 5 years.

Geographically: level with la Rochelle and about 70kms inland. [geek]

[quote user="crabtree"]Many channels have changed transponders over the last few days, it is possible a rescan may find them.

It

is because Astra 2G is now in service, and all channels that were on

the old Eutelsat at 28.2/28.5 have (or will be moved this week) to Astra

2E or 2F or 2G. Many will use the same frequencies, so you may not

notice any change with some channels. However quite a number are/will be

on new transponders, and unless you have a Freesat or $ky box you may

well have to rescan to find them.

Also, some that were previously on a European beam, will now be on a UK beam, including the Freesat EPG.

[/quote]

[quote user="Quillan"]

Funny because the channels we are talking about have not moved and those that have are OK.

[/quote]

It may be due to solar storms but the channel 5 group of channels have in fact moved on to the new 2G sat. The UK spot beam from there may be slightly different to the spot beam on 2E and 2F. If I recall, the Ch5 was on 2F up until the other day.

http://en.kingofsat.net/tp.php?tp=4798

http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2G.html

[quote user="bixy"]Thanks for those replies. what I can't understand is why it is only the 5 channels which are affected.

[/quote]so it may be that your dish setup is not optimally adjusted or the dish is a bit too small. You don't say what equipment dish and decoder make and model you have or your location so it is very hard to give you any more info

Danny

You are not alone Bixy.

For the last couple of months (ie before any change of satellite) we have suffered very intermittent c5 reception with 60cm dishes and a variety of boxes. It seems at the moment to have gone completely - and maybe that is linked to a changed footprint on the new satellite.

[quote user="andyh4"]You are not alone Bixy. For the last couple of months (ie before any change of satellite) we have suffered very intermittent c5 reception with 60cm dishes and a variety of boxes. It seems at the moment to have gone completely - and maybe that is linked to a changed footprint on the new satellite.[/quote]

If you look at thelink already given ( http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2G.html ) there are a lot of othr channels like ITV-1 so if it was the footptint you should lose them as well I should have thought. Check the list and see what you do and do not have.

Q, for me it is only the C5 suite of programmes that are a problem. Other channels on the same satellite have 100% strength and 85%+ quality.

C5 - no signal is being received.

So back to Bixy's question, why only these specific channels?

Finally discovered the problem. The channels had moved. Did a factory reset and then a scan and there they all were.

Hope that helps if anyone is still struggling.

I know C5 is mostly rubbish but the cricket highlights are on there, which I like to see.

BTW talking to someone in the TV business, it seems a lot of these lesser channels - he gave E4 as an example - don't have cameras, studios or even any staff. They just give the recorded programmes to a company that broadcasts them on their behalf, and on behalf of a lot of other channels.

Patrick

[quote user="crabtree"]Many channels have changed transponders over the last few days, it is possible a rescan may find them.

It

is because Astra 2G is now in service, and all channels that were on

the old Eutelsat at 28.2/28.5 have (or will be moved this week) to Astra

2E or 2F or 2G. Many will use the same frequencies, so you may not

notice any change with some channels. However quite a number are/will be

on new transponders, and unless you have a Freesat or $ky box you may

well have to rescan to find them.

[/quote]

Exactly as I said a week ago!