Is it a scam call?

I now ignore all withheld numbers and numbers from outside the region. If they were genuine they'd leave a message - they never do.

I just had one that just said 'calling' but someone started to leave a message so I picked up the phone. It seemed to be someone saying they had a delivery and giving a number to call back. I didn't get the number, beginning with 06, and I can't call back as it is 'unavailable'.

We have not ordered anything and our birthdays are in June so I can't think of anything that would be sent.

Is it a scam? I have to visit OH in hospital and hope we don't get burglars while I'm gone!

It is a scam which is getting more widespread.

They try to persuade you to call a premium number which apparently connects to a call handling system which tries to keep you persuaded to stay connected while charges mount up.

If you actually are expecting a delivery the company will call you directly, not ask you to call someone else.

When the last delightful lady called me, after asking her to repeat what she said a few times I asked why she didn't just deliver the parcel - she said it was another department I had to call. I said put me through to them, then, and she rang off.

I was home (briefly) over the weekend and the Mrs received a call. She got so very excited as she had just "won" €1000 from Conforama and the lady told her to phone a number to claim the prize. She got called twice more within 10minutes asking why she hadn't called said number. They were rather persistent and the Mrs would have believed them if I hadn't started singing Monty Python SpamSpamSpam...lovely Spam etc. It was all very believable and I can understand why the befuddled could fall for it.  

A lot of mobile phone numbers around here start with 06 - including ours.

There's a system of ringing 3131 to find out last caller, but I don't think that works for mobile phones.

It's difficult to judge whether every number is genuine - both our sons live abroad and their landlines begin 009 so I do remember those.

We get a lot from someone who leaves a message saying "ring 089....." which is a scam, I think, because 089 numbers are charged at a very expensive rate.

I started to receive automated calls on this topic, but it was on my livebox VOIP number, which I do not give out, only use to call from.

Not expecting any packages I ignored them.

The 3 days ago I got a very nice lady who told me the same thing and gave me a number to dial, I also said "just put me through" but to no avail, so I informed her I had recorded the message and would inform the authorities of the scam. Very quick disconnection followed [:D]

I have also received calls from 'Microsoft' purporting to be able to help me with my computer problem, In English !!  " Hello, I am calling from Microsoft...." my reply of "You know, and I know that is a lie, why don't you just $$ck off ?" was also met with a swift disconnect.

Is there no limit to what they will try?

There was a thing on the BBC last week about this sort of thing. Seems they only need two out of a thousand to make it worth their while. They even phone up claiming to be the police and then tell you to phone them back to check that they are the police, they actually have a 'switch board' for when you call back. This is normally a banking scam and if you follow the English press four got 'done' for it last week as well. The problem is getting people to come forward when they have been scammed.