Need to download bank statements; need program to do so... - help

OK - I'm a dumbo when it comes to this modern techno - so guidance in simple words of one syllable much appreciated.

I need to download statements to print out from my UK bank.

This pc is running Windows  7 HP.

I am unable, totally unable to download and print bank statements at the moment.

My bank uses -

Microsoft Money97 (ofc file)

Microsoft Money (ofx file)

Quicken 2001 onwards (ofx file)

Sage Line 50 (ofx file)

Microsoft Excel, Lotus 123, Text (CSV file) -

NONE of which is here on my pc, not one flippin' one.

Now I've tried to download my bank statements;  they 'seem' to be read by AdobeAcrobat - but when I try to open and print I get the message 'can't be read - error 00000---- or file has been damaged'.

Desperately need to print these statements.   Seems as though I have to download some programme first;  Microsft Money97 not avail;  Microsft Money/Sun ofx - doesn't seem to allow printing of bank statements.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which programme I should download, to run on Windows 7, - for free (if poss 'cos I'm not likely to want to do this again);

and which will definitely let me download and print off my bank statements -

but which will be easy to download - and easy to use.

:Please, clever techie bods - I'm in a bit of a hole here, and need help - please.

Thanks - Chessie

I think you've misunderstood somewhere because no bank provides statements only in those weird and niche formats.

Typically it will be .pdf, .txt., or possibly .xls or .xlsx or .doc or .docx for Microsoft Office.

Give me your A/C details and I'll have a look for you [:$]

[quote user="chessie"]OK - I'm a dumbo when it comes to this modern techno - so guidance in simple words of one syllable much appreciated.

I need to download statements to print out from my UK bank.

This pc is running Windows  7 HP.

I am unable, totally unable to download and print bank statements at the moment.

My bank uses -

Microsoft Money97 (ofc file)

Microsoft Money (ofx file)

Quicken 2001 onwards (ofx file)

Sage Line 50 (ofx file)

Microsoft Excel, Lotus 123, Text (CSV file) -

NONE of which is here on my pc, not one flippin' one.

Now I've tried to download my bank statements;  they 'seem' to be read by AdobeAcrobat - but when I try to open and print I get the message 'can't be read - error 00000---- or file has been damaged'.

Desperately need to print these statements.   Seems as though I have to download some programme first;  Microsft Money97 not avail;  Microsft Money/Sun ofx - doesn't seem to allow printing of bank statements.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which programme I should download, to run on Windows 7, - for free (if poss 'cos I'm not likely to want to do this again);

and which will definitely let me download and print off my bank statements -

but which will be easy to download - and easy to use.

:Please, clever techie bods - I'm in a bit of a hole here, and need help - please.

Thanks - Chessie

[/quote]

Libre Office (for free) has an Excel program called Calc. This will open CSV, and many other files.

Available to download here.

Have a root round on your online bank page for something like "view statements" or statement archive, or previous statements.

What you are currently trying to do is download the data or transactions into a programme, which you don't have.

But really, all you need to do is view a PDF version and print it, or see if there is a "download PDF" button.

If you say which bank you use someone may be able to help with more specific instructions.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I have listed the programmes which my bank uses;  it is necessary to have one of those programmes on your pc to enable you to download - and print the statement that appears on screen, and which covers the dates specified - the ones I've listed are those listed by my the bank.

Please don't tell me I can't do it;  this is what the bank itself has told me;  this is what those of us who bank on-line have to be able to do from time to time.   I can read my statements on line;  I can make transfers between accounts;  I can make payments to others from our accounts.

What I cannot do - is download to my pc - and then print out a statement - it is not possible because I do not have one of the software programmes that my bank supports/uses.  I have tried using AdobeAcrobat;  when I have 'downloaded' - I get the message 'unable to read because no supporting programme - error 00000.06xc (?) - or similar.   But Adobe refuses to co-operate.   It can Acrobat all over the damn place as far as I'm concerned if only it worked - but it isn't, it won't.

It is no good these wretched banks asking us if we want to bank on-line, and NOT to receive our monthly paper statements - if it is impossible to download and print our own statements.

That;s all I want;  that is perfectly normal.  It is what we are expected to do.   That is what I would do - if only this b---y pc had any one of the programmes I have listed.

All I wanted to know was whether anyone had used them;  which could be recommended; which ones can I download (with English please as I need to understand clearly) - for free- and if they are easy to use.

That's all.

Chessie

If you have Win 7 then you have the Snipping tool - type Snip into the search box.

That allows you to capture any area of the screen (your bank statement when viewed online), do so.

When you have captured what you want click on the copy icon.

Now go back to the search box and type in Paint.

Click the first icon on the tool bar which is Paste.

Now you have what is actually a picture which you can print.

I still maintain that you have missed something, if those really were the only formats available then they would be fielding calls from frustrated customers just like you all day long.

I googled "how to download and print .ofx file" and there seem to be a number of possibilities and offers of free software to do it.

Here's just one:

http://www.openwith.org/programs/xnview

I have no experience of it, but it SAYS it works with .ofx.

Otherwise, there were a reasonable number of other free options you could work through.

[quote user="AnOther"]If you have Win 7 then you have the Snipping tool - type Snip into the search box.

That allows you to capture any area of the screen (your bank statement when viewed online), do so.

When you have captured what you want click on the copy icon.

Now go back to the search box and type in Paint.

Click the first icon on the tool bar which is Paste.

Now you have what is actually a picture which you can print.

I still maintain that you have missed something, if those really were the only formats available then they would be fielding calls from frustrated customers just like you all day long.
[/quote]

That is a usefull tip for me ANO, I was going to suggest "print screen" but TBH I have never even managed to do that in all the years I have owned computers and it sounds a simple enough command, it worked when I had nothing but DOS but then everything did back then, my computer was probably a million times slower but when I switched it on I could work straight away, no waiting for minutes, no freezing and rebooting several times a day.

Now if I repeat SNIP SNIP SNIP enough times I might just remember it!

xnview will not open the bank .ofx files (I've just confirmed it with my CA ofx files). The bank ofx files are Open Financial Exchange format. The xnview ofx are graphics files in Olicom Fax Image format.

I've used Microsoft Money to manage my all my financial accounts for since the late 1990s. I can import my bank statements from UK and French banks.

You can still download Microsoft Money 2005 UK to manage you accounts, tax, etc. It is available for free and still works with all versions of Windows from XP onwards . See http://blog.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/2011/11/27/download-microsoft-money-2005-for-free/

If you simply want to print a statement so that it looks like the ones you used to get when they sent them on paper, then you definitely do not want to download transactions and open them with any of the software programmes listed.

Have you had a look at your online banking help pages for how to print statements, or how to download PDF statements?

This may give you the specific instructions you need.

If you tell us which bank you are with, someone here may be able to tell you how to do it. I could help with Nationwide, RBS and Natwest.

If you simply want to print a statement so that it looks like the ones you used to get when they sent them on paper, then you definitely do not want to download transactions and open them with any of the software programmes listed.

Have you had a look at your online banking help pages for how to print statements, or how to download PDF statements?

This may give you the specific instructions you need.

If you tell us which bank you are with, someone here may be able to tell you how to do it. I could help with Nationwide, RBS and Natwest.

Thanks everyone for your help and guidance - very useful and helpful suggestions.

But I've cracked it - and it is nothing to do with my PC.

It's very complicated - bear with me if you're interested. But here goes.

I needed this bank statement print-out for a mortgage broker.   The instructions from them, which HAVE to be complied with are 'NO screen shots of bank statements - must be a .pdf document' - ie a direct copy of the computer generated bank account statement.

Here's the quirky bit - that totally threw me.   If you have on-line banking you can see all your bank transactions right up to the last 24 hours.   But - if you want a .pdf print out you will NOT be able to print up to the last 24 hours - the .pdf will ONLY print out the computer generated statement that is generated either once a month, or once every two  months, or once every three months.

That's been my problem.   I've needed a .pdf print-out of my bank account.   My problem was that my bank account ONLY (up to yesterday) was computer generated once every THREE months - not much activity on it so no need for monthly statements.   The main account only has a computer generated statement once every TWO months. 

So there was no point in trying to get a .pdf print-out which included the last 24 hours transactions - because it wasn't there in the bank's .pdf system - in fact I wouldn't have been able to get an up-to-date .pdf for one a/c until March for the main one, and April for the other.   On screen it's possible to view transactions between any specific points, go back months if necessary - but you cannot download those transactions as a .pdf - 'the computer says 'no' !!

So none of the lovely suggestions you've all come up with would have been any help whatsoever - because the info wasn't on the bank's computer system in a .pdf format in the first place.

On-line banking is great - until you have to hand over to a third-party details of your bank statements to 'prove' who you are, that you have XXX number of £££s/Euros floating in and out of your account and so they can check you're not money-laundering or anything else (that the 'elites' who make the rules get up to - and for which we have to suffer).

In effect, what I was asking for from my bank didn't exist in the form I wanted.   Screen shots are fine for personal use - but for a third party it MUST be the bank's computer generated .pdf;  and if you are not aware of it, the computer statement might only be up-dated every two months or every three months.

Had long on-line chat last night to try to get this sorted - and the above is what was explained to me which I had not known.   So I've put it this info out there just in case - at some time in the future - someone else might find it useful or helpful.

I've also now changed the timings for our accounts;  the computer generated accounts are now to be done monthly so, if needed, I'll be able to download two .pdfs from the bank up to the end of January (but that's only going to be available after 2 February so there's still a delay !!)

It's amazing what I've learned, and rather wish I hadn't because it's been a very frustrating time.   But I now know that what I was asking for wasn't possible anyway - because of the bank's system of providing the .pdf docs.

So although I won't need to follow-up any of the suggestions I'd like to thank you for your kindness in trying to help me out.   As always, I'm very impressed with the knowledge people have - and are willing to share.

Thank you all very much.   Now I just have to hope that Adobe Acrobat won't fall off the tight-rope next time I ask it to do something .......!!!!

Chessie