BBC4 on Freesat, same old problem.

Since moving have been able to get all the Freesat channels I want except BBC Channel 4 (though I can get CBeebies), in the evenings. As the dish is huge and well pointed on the Astra 2 group of satellites, the cable has been checked with the ends tidied and the plug things sorted, TV fine, it would seem to point to the digibox as not being able to get whatever the missing channel is on.

How can I check this, please guys?

Is it actually a "freesat (TM)" box or just a free to air sat receiver?

If the latter you need to delete CBeebies, then AFTER 19.00 BST you need to rescan on the relevant frequency.

If it's a "freesat (TM)" box then I suggest a complete re-install (ie factory reset) after 19.00 BST.

You can tell if it's a real "freesat" box by checking the logo on the front, which has the freesat word and a symbol remarkably like that of Futuroscope.

It is a free to air receiver. Factory rescan produced total chaos, but even got me BBC4 for about five minutes before it disappeared again.

Looks as if I might have to bite the bullet and get a new box as this one is quite likely to be severely trampled if it continues this way. Humax seems to way to go.

I have a Humax box in the uk it works well and has had no problems. One thing to remember is that on the Humax box that has the recorder, two inputs are required from the LNB. I think that one is for the viewing channel and one is for the recording channel. I have not used the Humax in france so i cannot confirm that it would pick up BBC4.

I have had a range of boxes from various manufacturers (not just UK Freesat boxes but also continental boxes tuned to Astra 28E) and the only two that have stood the test of time are the Sky box and a Humax box. The others have all proven to be false economy.

Sorry my suggestion produced total chaos wooly,  although I only recommended a factory reset in the case of a "freesat" box,   and as you have discovered an ordinary free to air receiver doesn't have the "brains" to sort channels into a logical order,   although BBC 4 should have lasted more than five minutes!

Generally Humax products are good,  although in the case of a Foxsat I purchased on behalf of friends it failed catastrophically a few days within the guarantee period (but before anyone could contact Humax to say so) and we then discovered that the after sales service of Humax leaves a lot to be desired,   with quite shirty technical staff with a "take it or leave it" attitude.   I must say as a result I'd personally never buy anything else from Humax but I think in this case we had somewhat bad luck.

At the moment I'm using a cheap Manhattan freesat box (£44) - many years ago I swore I'd never buy Manhattan again after endless failures of an Astra Digital Radio receiver (I exhausted the last of the UK stock,  getting through four receivers in a year!) so maybe that'll come back to haunt me.....