signal amplifier

Had the T D F round twice and they recommended that we got two and we did. Certainly helped a lot until we got a satellite dish.

If you are using an Ariel then it needs to be directed in exactly the right direction to get the best signal prior to adding the amplifier.

So, why do you need such a thing these days?

As we lived in the mountains there were always problems getting a good signal, but I never imagined it being like that where you live.

Don't know why we need one.  The "expert" tells us our house is not in a good position for a signal.

I didn't buy a new tv, or at least not yet as I need to get another room ready for another tv.  So have bought a décodeur to use with the old one.  It won't be wasted as we intend to keep our present room upstairs to watch in the winter and, when it gets warm in the summer, we will watch downstairs where it's très frais.

Might take me a few months to get all ready as some furniture will need to be moved and a new rateau and electrical points installed.

So I want to follow the "expert's" advice and get an amplifier.  I was hoping someone will be able to recommend me one.

Hi Grumps, I'll be back later today, after I have established with OH what signal it is EXACTLY, me being in the school of "I know what it is I need but not what it is I want".

Please do come back then and give me your advice![:)]

If you are talking about TNT par antenne rateau then i am not sure that an amplifier will help you.

On the old analogue system a signal booster would help where there was a weak signal but with digital I really dont think that there is any more that you can do if you have the best highest gain antenne and the signal quality is not sufficient, happy to be proved wrong.

I have a boosted caravan type antenne on my pied à terre in the UK but that was chosen because it was small and discreet, it works well but so does the aeriel on the main house.

Here in France I have a booster amplifier but that is because the one aeriel has to run TV's in 7 apartments, when I had a low gain aeriel I had pixellation and could not get many channels, the amplifier made no difference to that even feeding one TV, changing the aeriel and carefull alignment made the difference, it was still not good in wet weather with or without the amplifier, when a line of tall conifers in line of sight were cut down the reception improved.

Isn't there a little shop in your area that sells ariels and puts up satellite dishes and they know what you need for your area and where the signal comes from. IF there is something that can help.

I would call these people. They used to be a government organisation, but appear to be private now, however, they do diffuse the signals, so have a responsibility, and should be able to help, IMO? You do after all, pay for your tv licence.

http://www.tdf.fr/nos-solutions/tv

We have one fitted in our house in the UK. It is a three storey house with the aerial fitted high up. Only needed for terrestial TV. It made a big difference to the old analogue TV and Digital works fine  with it. I have never tried Digital without it.

OK, here is what we have.  Since the change in tv in France and our old tv set cannot get the new channels, we have this device which is described below.

Philips Récepteur TNT Haute Défination.

In English, the box says digital receiver Terrestrial Programs recording

Then 2016 TNT diffusée en MPEG4; cet équipment est compatible.

Now we get a shedload of French channels (more than we will ever watch) but the signal and sound break up and the man what came said an amplifier would help both.

Would someone be kind enough to scout out a picture of a suitable amplifier so that I would know what I am looking for and also in order that I can ask the right questions?

Also there are aerials and there are aerials. Some are small and only give little gain whilst others are large and give a high gain and it is high gain that you require.

Some decoders handle weak signals better.

Thanks, Paul, will ask around for recommendation of a tv man.  The chap who came the other day did help us with tv reception in the past but had always claimed that we did not have a strong signal although we could practically see the mast from our house.

I think he is more of a computer man though he said he knew all about tvs!  I get so tired of people who claim to be able to do this that and the other and all I end up with is disappointment[:'(]

In which case take what he says with a pinch if salt, dont compound your problems by buying yet another bit of kit which is probably not needed.

Were you getting all the TNT channels except the Hd ones before the switch over to HD in April?

Is the antenne still pointing where it was?

If yes then either the HD decoder is not set up properly, it has a fault (possibly the peritel lead) or for whatever reason it wont work with a marginal signal that your TV was more than happy with.

I bit the bullet and bought 3 new TV's to avoid potential problems just like yours.

Try another HD TV if you have one or borrow one.

Thanks, Chance.  As you know, I was about to buy a new tv and was frustrated by the unhelpful mec in Leclerc and then I had my credit card blocked when I tried to buy on Amazon.

To cut a long story short, I bought the decoder, cheap enough, to try with the box and neither should be wasted as they will merely be delegated to the "second division", that is used as the tv d'appoint.

So, new tv for now and sort out the old box at a later date.

I love it when, by talking around with different people on the forum, I am enabled to make a decision.  This has happened loads of times.  Some people just go ahead and make their own decisions but I am all for not re-inventing the wheel and listening and benefitting from the experience of others.

Thanks, all[:)]