We have Outlook Express (OE) on the PC at home. We have 3 Tesco webmail email accounts and 2 orange accounts set up within Outlook.  I have been using Orange WebMail to check stuff also and my son has been checking his webmail account via Tesco webmail.

Today - all webmail inboxes are empty, both Orange accounts and all 3 Tesco webmail accounts. The outlook express accounts are OK the emails are still present

There is more to the history on this.

1) we had Outlook Express on one Hard drive, which packed up (I don't have the option to keep emails on the server with OE)

2) new HD with Outlook proper so I set up all the accounts again and made sure the "keep on server for 365 days was set"

3) Outlook proper HD packed up, so I retried the original OE hard drive which has been working OK for the last month or so

4) you still keeping up ?

so what could have caused all the emails to disappear ? It's as if OE has taken over and cleaned everything from the server(s)

The answer seems to be in your question:

1) we had Outlook Express on one Hard drive, which packed up (I don't have the option to keep emails on the server with OE)

3) Outlook proper HD packed up, so I retried the original OE hard drive which has been working OK for the last month or so

Reusing OE sucked all your emails off the servers.