Freebox problem

A friend has a freebox which has been working fine. It now does not connect. We have unplugged and replugged, the broken line whirls around a bit then we get a display of 88:88, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks in anticipation.

You are doing a reboot and resynch of your Freebox ADSL, normally it goes through all the stages and resets in a couple of minutes, try again a few times and leave it 10 minutes on the step its stuck on, often it will synchronise and carry on, if it remains stuck on the 888 stage look in your Freebox ADSL manual and it will tell you at what stage its failed and what the problem is likely to be, sorry but too busy to look myself, been on the go since 8.30 no lunch and will be Lucky to get everything done before the new customers arrive, typing this during pause café.

The broken line whirling is called "chenillard" (Caterpillar) and is the first stage, sounds like you are stuck on "le boîtier reste bloqué sur le rectangle clignotant"  which means a failure to synchronise with the exchange.

Unplug it and power it down for a few minutes before retrying, then leave it for an hour on that stage, if no change phone them on 3244.

If you are non regroupée you should do a hard reboot (look in the manual) in fact try it anyway it may have been trying to do a mise à jour and got stuck, its happened to me a couple of times but normally the Freebox HD which I no longer use as I get my TV from the antenne to save €2. 

Did you speak to them in English by any chance?

I know they only recruit English speakers and wondered if customers could get to speak to one, not for myslef you understand!

Its already fairly impressive that you got through to someone on a Sunday, during les vacances and they are going to send someone on Monday I think you said!

What are Free like to contact these days?

I had a mare with them years ago, in the end I had to buy a 2nd hand freebox and get them to pair it up to my account which was easy but they wouldnt give me a new box, I used a netgear router in the meantime but didnt have the free calls thing.