Cancelling an Orange Livebox subscription

Does anyone know whether it's possible to cancel a 'sans engagement' Livebox subscription simply by calling the English Helpline (the helpline assistant said yes) -- or whether as others insist, you have to go the usual ISP route of sending a registered letter?

As mobile data becomes steadily cheaper I have finally decided to relinquish the (expensive) landline service in favour of twice-as-fast mobile data at less than half the price. Anyone else in a similar situation (and not yet eligible for fibre-optic) may like to consider this route now that the mobile market is evolving so fast. In my own 'sans engagement' offer, I've got a hefty 20 GB of 3G/4G data a month from SFR RED, for just 10 euros (that 'forfait' is unfortunately now closed) -- which includes free 'illimite' landline calls Europe wide, and free SMSes in France. My Livebox package even after I cancelled the actual landline phone in favour of an internet one, was EUR 37-50 -- vive la difference!

Ring the english helpline and they should tell you how to do it. Doubt if they can do it for you, they have no authority over the accounts dept.

You might find that you have to wait out the year's contract. If you've authorised them to take money out of your account for the duration of the contract.

We never chose prelevements, but forgot to pay once and they cut us off. It was a right palaver sorting it out. I think we have the same  type of contract as you.

Thanks for the tips, appreciated. Fortunately my contract is 'sans engagement' so I am free to cancel at any time without penalty. And now that mobile data offers me double the speed at less than half the price for the volume I use monthly, and we don't use the French TV option through the Livebox, there seems little point in continuing it. We've been promised fibre-optic for years, but I keep seeing visions of airborne pigs....

As a quick afterthought, I see some online sources say Orange charges 50 euros to cancel an account? Is this really correct?

They also say it is no longer necessary to send a registered letter to cancel, as used to be the case; it can simply be done through the helpline.

Also, what happens to the actual (old-style) Livebox when I cancel? I 'inherited' it from the previous owner (who had already had it for a few years). Orange had no problem with that, and consequently does not charge me any rental for the actual box. Do I just pass it on similarly to someone else, or is there some sort of deposit due if/when returning it to Orange?

Have you got an Orange shop anywhere near you? If so, I would go and ask in there.

We have one in our prefecture town, Auch, and they've always been very helpful with the many problems we've had over the years.

We've often thought of changing, but in the end Orange own all the internet networks.

[quote user="Spidworthy"]As a quick afterthought, I see some online sources say Orange charges 50 euros to cancel an account? Is this really correct?[/quote]

depends on your contract - if you have had it for a while there is probably nothing to pay.

[quote user="Spidworthy"]They also say it is no longer necessary to send a registered letter to cancel, as used to be the case; it can simply be done through the helpline.

Also, what happens to the actual (old-style) Livebox when I cancel? I 'inherited' it from the previous owner (who had already had it for a few years). Orange had no problem with that, and consequently does not charge me any rental for the actual box. Do I just pass it on similarly to someone else, or is there some sort of deposit due if/when returning it to Orange?[/quote]

Yes, you just need to call up to cancel.

All the info you need is here.....

Orange résiliation

Click on each tab for all steps to take.

Danny