French TV discovers subtitles.

One of the things that I hate is films being dubbed into French.

The actors seem to be drawn from a very small pool and their vocal style is dreadfully over-done.

Some programmes are now available in VO (original language version) which is fine for English films, but when I don't know the original language well enough to follow I haven't been able to watch, since the dubbing is so irritating.

Now some are beginning to have subtitles in French as an alternative to dubbing, and so those dark Scandinavian thrillers may be viewable on French TV at last.

Here is a bog-standard example

On the first screen click on version, then Franças sous-titres

http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/059533-001-A/meurtres-a-sandhamn-saison-3-1-3?autoplay=1

My son had told me about this improvement some time ago. He likes watching things in VO. Not seen the Sandhamn Murders, wonder if they have been on UK tv yet.

Not liking Angelby though that started this week, first thing I have given up on.

Recently I saw a DVD which had French sub-titles for the hard of hearing - I have been looking for this for years, as I would like to watch French films with French subtitles to help my language development, but have been unable to find any. However I finally had success with the latest 'Visitors' film!

Being very hard of hearing, subtitles are essential for me, whether programmes are in French or English. So the more that carry subtitles, the better. It irritates me that so few of the films shown on Freeview have them. I have noticed a gradual improvement in France, but still some way to go.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]Being very hard of hearing, subtitles are essential for me, whether programmes are in French or English. So the more that carry subtitles, the better. It irritates me that so few of the films shown on Freeview have them. I have noticed a gradual improvement in France, but still some way to go.[/quote]

Quite a lot on France2 have them

http://pluzz.francetv.fr/videos/envoye_special.html

click on the symbol under the screen just to the right of the centre to see the subtitles..