Mobile phones: data limit exceeded caused by Google?

In case it happens to someone else...

Mr Clair and I each have a smartphone with a basic "€2 a month" Free mobile contract, as the phones are mainly in case of emergency and for the odd SMS...

Last week, Mr Clair noticed his data limit (set by Free at 50MB a month) had been exceeded. There had been no web surfing or downloading, or anything else to justify a sudden and unusual increase in data usage.

The actual breakdown of the data usage (listed in the phone settings) showed that 'Google Services' were to blame for the problem.

Looking for an explanation, Mr Clair found out that recent changes made by Google to some Google Maps features may be the cause of the massive increase in data usage.

These features are on by default and this page (https://unop.uk/on-google-maps-geotagging-and-privacy/) explains what is happening and how to prevent it.

As our phones are Android-based (Google-owned), the Google Maps app cannot be removed from the phone. Unfortunately.[6] If I could, I would.

I have to compromise...

I use Google Keep for my shopping lists and reminders, as it syncs across all devices. When I am shopping at Leclerc/Lidl etc, I can pull up the list on my phone, knowing it is up to date.

I would have to remember to sync it before leaving home![:D]

I keep mobile data off, relying on Wifi almost all the time, then only switching it on in the very rare case that I need to connect where there is no Wifi available.

As soon as I have seen what I need I immediately close the mobile data again.

Perhaps my stamping grounds are better served for Wifi than you in the Lot?

Nice to see you posting again.

You have been sorely missed.[:D]

[quote user="Clair"]Google Maps features may be the cause of the massive increase in data usage.[/quote]All relative I suppose but hard to categorise 50mB of data as 'massive' by any measure, you could blow that and more on a single web page or an email [blink]

Oddly enough I was reading that very piece about Google barely 10 minutes ago !

Good to see you back also [kiss]

[quote user="AnOther"]All relative I suppose but hard to categorise 50mB of data as 'massive' by any measure, you could blow that and more on a single web page or an email[/quote]

True, 50Mb is not a huge number, but it is a big increase considering that my usual data usage seldom exceeds 10MB! [blink]

If you go to Settings | Data usage (mobile) and scroll down you can see what each app is using. Click on an app in that list and scroll down and you can then restrict app background data - which is what I have done for Google Services and for Maps (amongst other apps).

[quote user="pomme"]If you go to Settings | Data usage (mobile) and scroll down you can see what each app is using. Click on an app in that list and scroll down and you can then restrict app background data - which is what I have done for Google Services and for Maps (amongst other apps).[/quote]

Done! Thank you [:)]

The various settings, global and individual, are a mystery, coming as they do with all sorts of "Warning" panels... and I am not interested enough to want to find out for myself. So the tip is much appreciated [:)]

[quote user="mint"]Clair, I know why you are en deuil 8 Nov 16.

I'd join you except that I am too shocked to feel anything.

[/quote]

Ah, mint! [:'(]

I drove out and walked around the shops today, my phone in my hand  to check my shopping list (got to keep on topic!) as if everything was like it was yesterday, or last week or last month, but I felt I was in a daze, not really with it, in mental shock...

I remember having that same odd, detached feeling after a car crash...

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="mint"]Clair, I know why you are en deuil 8 Nov 16.

I'd join you except that I am too shocked to feel anything.

[/quote]

Ah, mint! [:'(]

I drove out and walked around the shops today, my phone in my hand  to check my shopping list (got to keep on topic!) as if everything was like it was yesterday, or last week or last month, but I felt I was in a daze, not really with it, in mental shock...

I remember having that same odd, detached feeling after a car crash...

[/quote]

OK, I'll bite...

Would you like to let us know what happened?

Danny

PS I occasionally take a scrap bit of paper which serves as my shopping list [;-)] No data problems here except when I forget things.