With Chancer's recent brush with HADOPI in mind I idly did some research and found this hypocrisy:

La Haute autorité Hadopi a pour vocation la lutte contre le piratage sur

Internet. Sont ici visés les nombreux utilisateurs ayant recours à des

téléchargements illégaux via des plateformes de partage de fichier

(réseaux dits « peer to peer »). En revanche, les personnes qui

téléchargent par des liens directs ou qui utilisent le streaming ne sont

pas concernés.

So there you have it, if you refrain from using P2P and torrents and download directly you can do what you like with the blessing of HADOPI !

Also if you keep your nose clean after a first HADOPI letter the slate is supposedly wiped clean.

En cas de récidive

dans les 6 mois à compter de l'envoi de cette première recommandation,

un nouveau courrier électronique est envoyé à l'utilisateur.

Download away me hearties !

[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/bd/14/f2/bd14f2e1832e347c49928616d73d781f.jpg[/img]

But isnt "direct downloading" purchasing said material legitimately with the royalties being paid, what constitutes "indirect downloading" I dont understand the technical stuff and what torrenting is, I presume that these peer 2 peer sites whether people py or otherwise are not paying royalties.

Surely the misdeed is the not paying of the royalties? If downloading whatever the method is illegal how do people these days get their music? I havn't bought any since some CD's in the 90's!!! And that doesnt mean that I have been downloading or given music either, I listen to the radio and thats it.

There are 3 ways to download copyrighted material.

1. Prepay or subscription.

2. Torrents or P2P

3. Direct download.

The first needs no real explanation and here is small tutorial on what 'torrenting' is about, the process itself is not illegal per se (the BBC iPlayer uses the technology) it's only the when copyrighted material is being downloaded and distributed that it becomes that.

Direct downloading is where an entire file is hosted on a server somewhere and made available to anybody as a single simple download.

There are innumerable resources for finding just about anything you could possibly want and they generally escape legal problems because they do not actually host the files themselves but are merely indexes to where they can be found, indeed if you know the correct search terms to use Google is pretty good at finding most things !

Direct downloading of copyrighted material is no less illegal than by torrenting however HADOPI declare themselves uninterested in them.