Windows Vista officially dead next Tuesday

Yep, for those of you clinging on to that lame dog of an OS called Vista (exceeded in badness only by Windows ME) next Tuesday is drop dead day, the OS will continue to work (and I use the term in the loosest possible sense) but will receive no updates or security patches so you're on your own from then on.

In an attempt to be helpful MS say you have two options:

1. do not connect to the internet with it

2. upgrade to Windows 10

Actually it's three except for the fact that you can no longer buy Windows 7 !

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_vista-windows_install/windows-vista-end-of-support-april-11th-2017/34ea674e-f0b4-4a00-b0e2-79e0d3144ba4

Well I suppose that was inevitable and while I'm not saying there is anything fundamentally wrong with Linux (I've been seriously tinkering with it myself) the very fact that someone has stuck with Vista to the bitter end strikes me as fairly conclusive evidence of a low level technical competence which makes it difficult to see how Linux is a practical solution to the problem for those potentially affected.

For openers how many I wonder would have the first clue about what to do with a downloaded .iso file ?

I can only assume that means you've not bothered to research it either that or you're not bothered by the spying, incessant updates with no indication of what they do and creeping advertising.

If it's as good as you opine then why is it do you think that it's taken getting on for three years to capture a pathetic 28% of the market - and most of that (about 25% which includes significant numbers it was forced on !) in the give away period.

Since the end of that uptake has all but stalled and that's despite the fact that it's been the only version of Windows which has been available on new PC's for quite some time.

You'll note from the graphic that 7 has not only held it's own since the middle of last year, roughly coinciding with the end of the 10 give away, but in fact GAINED over the last quarter !

[url]http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2017/02/usage-share-statcounter-2017-01-100706823-large.jpg[/url]

Ano, I don't say it's marvellous!  But, it does the things I use the computer for and I don't look for "amazing" features.  For someone of my incompetence, it does very well.

BTW, it was your tip about the impending death of Vista that helped me make the decision to buy a new computer.  When I tell you that it was loaded with Windows 8, you might understand why I think 10 is really very good![:-))]

Nothing wrong with Linux Lite but slick videos of it in action completely ignore the complexity of installing it in the first place which for you or me might be pretty straightforward but almost by definition will be grossly over stretching the abilities of the vast majority still using Vista so promoting it to that group is, IMO, poor advice verging on the reckless.

"I can only assume that means you've not bothered to research it either that or you're not bothered by the spying, incessant updates with no indication of what they do and creeping advertising."

Was that aimed at me? We run Linux, Android, (tried Chrome OS) W8.1 and W10 here, am also very Google centric. They can spy all they like one me, nothing to hide. Also, as a gamer, installation of games in v simple on W10, yes I know Steam OS will run their platform, not so sure about Origins and Indi without emulators - also a problem on Linux.

According to the pundits, more people surf the web on Android than Windows now (mostly mobile devices, all ours are Android, not an I system in the house). Nearly every day one app or other on my phone is updated - no idea what each update does either, but not getting wound up about them. You can turn off W10 updates if you worry.