Internet for holiday in Ceret

We are planning to holiday next year in Ceret, however the house we are looking to rent does not have internet. Could you lovely people please advise me what options we have. We have a laptop and ipad.

Many thanks in advance

Suey

I expect you'll spend a lot of time sitting drinking coffee or rosé at cafés which have free wifi on offer. If desperate there is an internet café, and some tourist offices have free wifi too, don't know about Ceret TO though.

If tge house is not too remote, maybe you could use the internet links from nearby houses for your non-secure connections..........

If you need internet, surely it's easy enough to buy a mifi device and a data sim card. Obviously you need to make sure you choose a provider that has good network coverage in Ceret, so either buy your device but wait until you arrive to buy the sim and see what networks have good coverage there, or ask your host.

sueyh wrote : We are planning to holiday next year in Ceret, however the house we are looking to rent does not have internet.

Some friends, who had sold up and were returning to the UK, found themselves without Internet access when SFR cut them off 3 weeks early. They bought an Orange airbox for around 50 euros which gave them enough access for the entire 3 weeks but, even if one recharge hadn't been enough, they could have topped it up at low cost.

https://boutique.orange.fr/tablette-et-cle/airbox-4g

Sue

We are with Orange.fr for our telephone and internet in the Pas de Calais, I can vaguely remember in the dim and distant past being sent a usb Cle, would that have been a remote internet type thing?

Thanks in advance

Suey

[URL=http://s857.photobucket.com/user/nomoss/media/Posted%20on%20Forums/Wi-Fi...%20%20Wi-Fi..._zpssl5h9otl.jpg.html][IMG]http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/nomoss/Posted%20on%20Forums/Wi-Fi...%20%20Wi-Fi..._zpssl5h9otl.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I never bothered with the cle because it needs to be plugged into a laptop to do anything and when out and about in general I don't carry one of those with me, don't really know what the current deal is.

If you have Orange elsewhere though then if you activate 'accès aux hotspots wifi d'Orange' and 'hotspot wifi d'Orange de la Livebox' then anywhere you find a WiFi signal called 'Orange' you will be able to log onto it and use it with your Orange credentials.

To turn those on go into the Livebox and in My WiFi/Orange WiFi click 'Configure Orange WiFi then log into your Espace client when prompted.

This link may or may not take you directly there: http://r.orange.fr/r/Omoncompteinternet_messervices

Next time book somewhere with WiFi [;-)]

[quote user="nomoss"][URL=http://s857.photobucket.com/user/nomoss/media/Posted%20on%20Forums/Wi-Fi...%20%20Wi-Fi..._zpssl5h9otl.jpg.html][IMG]http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/nomoss/Posted%20on%20Forums/Wi-Fi...%20%20Wi-Fi..._zpssl5h9otl.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Ok, Ok, I suppose only broadband will do?

[quote user="Mint2"][quote user="nomoss"][URL=http://s857.photobucket.com/user/nomoss/media/Posted%20on%20Forums/Wi-Fi...%20%20Wi-Fi..._zpssl5h9otl.jpg.html][IMG]http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/nomoss/Posted%20on%20Forums/Wi-Fi...%20%20Wi-Fi..._zpssl5h9otl.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Ok, Ok, I suppose only broadband will do?

[/quote]

Shouldn't that  read "Modem last words"? [:-))][8-)]

[quote user="AnOther"].

If you have Orange elsewhere though then if you activate 'accès aux hotspots wifi d'Orange' and 'hotspot wifi d'Orange de la Livebox' then anywhere you find a WiFi signal called 'Orange' you will be able to log onto it and use it with your Orange credentials.

To turn those on go into the Livebox and in My WiFi/Orange WiFi click 'Configure Orange WiFi then log into your Espace client when prompted.[/quote]

All very well........but if YOU are an Orange client with a LiveBox You have now become one of the 7million Orange wifi hotspots in France métropole, à La Réunion, Antilles françaises and Guyane by virtue of being in possesion of your Livebox. Your location will be available for connection, via your Livebox, to any Joe/Josephine who chooses to log into Orange outside your home.

"Le réseau Wifi d'Orange s'enrichit progressivement des Livebox de nos clients.Votre Livebox basculera automatiquement en mode Wifi partagé dans un mois pour devenir

un nouveau hotspot".

However, fortunately,

"Vous aurez la possibilité de désactiver le mode Wifi partagé de votre Livebox à tout moment dans votre espace client: accueil espace client > mon compte internet"

x2

Why anybody would think of it as anything but a plus is beyond me, what exactly are you afraid of ?

It's just a slice off your bandwidth which is made available and it's completely secure, or as secure as any WiFi ever is shared or otherwise, so it's not as though said Joe/Josephine is going to be sogging up your bandwidth or rifling thorough your own PC's and other devices so in reality you're never going to even notice they are there.

When out and about there have been numerous occasions when I've pulled

up somewhere to log into a hotspot and been very glad of it.

In any case since the majority of expats seem to choose to live in at least some sort of isolation the chances of casual passers wanting to hook into their WiFi are grossly diminished if not non existent in which case sharing can only be a win with no downside whatsoever.

Regarding my earlier post, I've had it enabled ever since I became an Orange customer so I have had no need to revisit the setting however I understand that now it's enabled by default which is great and as it should be.

IMO all ISP's and routers should have the facility and enabled by default too so everybody can use any WiFi at any time.

So BJsliv wanting to know more (ignorant of the détails) asks for more info with "is that a bad thing", you respond and based on the new found knowledge (thanks to you) he makes a now informed decision to switch it off and gets called ignorant and/or stupid, doesnt say much for the source of his information does it?

Its enabled by default on my Freebox and they have made it harder and harder to disable, its now like mission impossible, worse every time it downloads and update or you reboot the thing or the power is restored it sneakily switches it back on, not that you would know as you cannot see the status anywhere like you once could, you have to go through mission impossible again frequently to check.

Not that I have any problems knowing when to switch it off again as I can no longer leave or enter my car park without being blocked by idiots that cannot drive half a mile without checking fessbook, I creep up on them and rap on the window and that is what usually is on their phone screen, women outnumber the men by 5 to 1 and I dont exaggerate when I tell you there will be 20-30 per day doing it [:(] I live on a main road and its the first place to pull over before/after town.

So I have all the motivation in the world to switch it off, plus there is the Hadopi doubt.

[quote user="Chancer"]I have all the motivation in the world to switch it off, plus there is the Hadopi doubt.[/quote]You don't seem to get it either.

They are not and can not do any harm and because they have to use their own SFR A/C credentials to log into your WiFi what they do on it is completely and totally their responsibility and nothing to do with you at all, in effect its as if they were operating from their own homes so if HADOPI come knocking it will be on their doors not yours.

Incidentally , I have no intention whatsoever of switching off the facility.

I find both the Orange and BT equivalent immensely useful when travelling.

I still can't see any possible objection to the service provided by way of mutual cooperation. Perhaps some people object to doing something for someone unless they can make a few bucks out of it.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Chancer"]I have all the motivation in the world to switch it off, plus there is the Hadopi doubt.[/quote]You don't seem to get it either.

They are not and can not do any harm and because they have to use their own SFR A/C credentials to log into your WiFi what they do on it is completely and totally their responsibility and nothing to do with you at all, in effect its as if they were operating from their own homes so if HADOPI come knocking it will be on their doors not yours.
[/quote]

That's why I used the word "doubt".

Thanks for the info.

Tomorrow i will be piggybcaking onto someone elses BT internet Wi-Fi using a neighbours log in détails, in the past i have used my tenants Wi-Fi but they now have a Sky router with a pi55 poor signal plus they conveniently "lost" my Devolo Dlan unit.

The BT inifinity Wi-Fi signal is incredibly powerfull, a previous tenant had it, its taken me ages to identify whose one I am connecting to now, its not my close neighbour who gave me her log in détails, her BT domestic unit is no more powerfull than the Sky one, using Google and searching for BT wifi hotspots I finally found whose one I am/will be using, its a  long distance away, in the next county in fact!!!!!