Wifi internet radios

Hi

If anyone uses an internet (wifi) radio I would be glad to have comments and which make you have. Is it any good?

Currently we use a laptop to get Radio 4 (FM) as our ordinary radio gets LW only (of course). We hate cricket!!! All summer we will have to use the laptop and wondered whether an internet radio would be the answer. We do not have UK tv (by choice) so do not get the radio on our satellite.

I have looked online but the prices vary enormously so recommendations would be really helpful.

Many thanks

Mrs H.

I am on my 3rd, buy cheap buy twice, or in my case 3 times [:'(]

First was a Revo Blik which was rubbish, would contantly dissapear up its own backside and need rebooting, reconnecting manually to the network and every other sort of histrionics, definitely not recommended.

Then a Pinell supersound which no-one seems to have heard of, worked OK but the platform it used (Reciva) was equally unknown and I believe responsable for incessant adverts for Darty and Leclerc to invade my listening, it too was scrapped now that I finally have a comfortable income.

I now have an Ocean Digital WR-80 and its been great, good reviews on Amazon and cheap, its a lot smaller than you might think from the photos, ideal if you want discreet or for une table à chevet, if you want a big comforting old school radio then try a Roberts, people say good things about them.

Thanks Chancer, most helpful.

ALBF: No I do not have wifi on a phone - I use an old fashioned mobile phone for calls, nothing else!!

I do not want to be connected to the world 24 hours a day, hate facebook and won't use it. Children and grandchildren (and elderly father) know how to find us, that is enough for me.

Thanks for the thought though.

Mrs H.

We have a Roberts internet radio, works brilliantly, use it on R4, R3 and Classic FM. Some English neighbours were delighted to know they could receive R4 without all the tinniness through their laptop and ipad that they bought the same model. It's a Roberts Stream 83i, but we bought it several years ago so will have cganged names, been updated etc I suppose.

The only drawbacks we've found are that it occasionally breaks up for a few seconds, but when it comes back it continues from exactly where it left off.

Plus, occasionally, maybe once a year, a programme isn't allowed over here in France and a monotonous voice repeats that continuously until we switch to another programme.

We also have what my husband tells me is a Voca, model Revo; that works on an app through the ipad and also has a lovely tone.

Thank you gardengirl. We have had Roberts radios (ordinary ones) so will consider the wifi one - they are at expensive end of the range!

The voice saying you cannot get a programme and the break up and restart we get on a laptop too.

Thanks

Mrs H.