Recommendations on ADSL Modem Router for Orange

I am looking to replace a Netgear DG2200 v4 N300 router that has died. Unfortunately this router has been discontinued I am looking to purchase the router in the UK and take the router out to France and setup on Orange.

I am looking for something that works well on a line that has always been slow and problematic.

I am not too keen on getting a livebox I don't speak French and I need to be able to setup port forwarding and remote management.

Can anyone recommend a router I can purchase in the UK that would suit.

Thanks in advance

Not claiming it's the best device on the market but the Livebox can be switched to English (albeit clearly not translated by a native English speaker!) and can be configured for port forwarding.

If you are using Orange as your provider then there is one distinct advantage to using a Livebox and that is if you needed to use the English speaking help line because that is all they know and therefore will be able to offer little help or no support for any other.

If you're set on using something else I'm afraid you'll have to do your own research on what works best on marginal lines and you can be sure that everybody will have a different opinion on that!

Can you configure the livebox to remotely administer it, the problem is that I am administering the router for a friend who has a holiday home in France and in the past if they have needed me to check the connection speed or do some port forwarding I can do that remotely with the Netgear.

I have tried to find out which is the best router for Orange France weak lines but can only find that Netgear Dg834g v3 is the best but this is even older than the Dg2200 v4 that I want to replace.

I want to move away from from the Netgear DG2200 as the last one I bought only lasted about a year and a half.

So if anyone can let me know if they are using a router they have brought in from the UK that would be great.

Thanks in advance

I don't know about the remote capabilities of the Livebox, but as Ernie said the English help line is a good place to start. It costs 3€/month and if/when owt goes wrong you take it to an Orange shop and they replace it. Plus, when they bring out newer models you can change them too.

Yes you can remotely administer it.

A friend who lives in the UK has set up a remote CCTV surveillance system for his friends in the Dordogne who are often away.

With the frequency of lighting storms in many areas of France unless you are there to unplug it for protection the €3/mth for the Livebox rental represents very cheap insurance !

Thanks for all your replies but Livebox is really not an option as this is a holiday home, which he also rents out so we are looking a purchasing two routers so that if the router is fried during an electrial storm (which I think has happened to the DG2200, he has a spare that any guest could quickly swap over.

Ok so the general consensus is that the Livebox Ian the way to go, but can anyone tell me how I can remotely manage the Livebox from he UK.

This facility on the old Netgear has proved to be very useful when my friend has said that his internet has gone off or gone slow (this happens quite often) or when he has bought something new for the villa and he needed some ports forward I have been able to check how he internet connection has been performing or forwarded ports for him from the UK

Ok from the lack of answers to my question about remotely controlling the livebox from the UK I guess this is not possible, so I am back to needing non livebox modem router, does anyone out there use a non livebox modem router on Orange if so what do you use and is it reliable.

Thanks in advance

Hello,

There are many tutorials online on how to configure remote access to the livebox. They are all in French though..

For example:

http://www.mistipi.com/configurer-un-acces-a-distance-a-votre-livebox/

or

http://forum.qnapclub.fr/topic/6890-configuration-pour-acces-a-distance-livebox-play-myqnapcloud/

so it is possible.

Otherwise, you can use almost any well known modem/router. I have used a Netgear and a Linksys modem/router and a Livebox without problems on my Orange line.

They can all be picked up quite cheaply second hand on eBay or LeBonCoin too.

[quote user="Chris W"]Ok from the lack of answers to my question about remotely controlling the livebox from the UK I guess this is not possible[/quote]If you're going to cop an attitude then I'm out of here.

I've already told you that it is but instead of asking Brits who just happen to live in France for such technical info I suggest you Google 'Livebox port forwarding', seems to be plenty of info on the subject including tutorials.

• 4 weeks later...
Just incase anyone else ever has the same question I took the plunge and purchased a UK version Netgear D6220 Modem router which supports both ADSL and VDSL took it to France and found this worked absolutely fine on Orange France ADSL, in fact the setup wizard had Orange FR setting available so just popped in the ADSL username and password and it worked.