Beware Le Bon Coin.

We have been getting rid of some things that we won't be taking back to the U.K. with us when we move. One being the pool robot, a Dolphin Supreme 4. That's quite an expensive bit of kit. We had a response by text asking me to email them and I recieved a reply saying  that they were out of the ountry at the moment, but were very interested. This is their message

Après réflexion je suis d'accord pour vous l'acheter , on vous informons que on vivons de (Taverny dans le Val-d'Oise 95); cependant nous sommes en déplacement (hors France). nous  souhaitons donc procéder a la vente par une réservation vu que j'aurai peu de temps a notre retour pour m'en occuper a cause du boulot.

Dans ce cas je compte vous envoyez la totalité des fonds dans un premier temps par un paiement instantané via les services de la poste et une fois vous avez l'argent nous fixerons une date afin de convenir d'un RDV a votre domicile pour la récupération du bien.

si vous êtes d'accord sur le principe veuillez m'indiquer les informations suivantes afin que je puisse vous envoyez les fonds:

-Nom-Prénoms-Adresse-Contacts Téléphonique-prix ferme

Dès réception de ces informations, je ferai le nécessaire demain pour finaliser la vente et demanderai à un transitaire de passer chez vous le récupérer et me le réserver jusqu'à mon retour.

on espère pouvoir compter sur votre honnêteté étant donné que vous aurez l'argent avant que nous récupérons le bien.

Je vous rajoute 100EUR sur le montant initial pour les frais de réservation.

Cordialement

A google translation

After reflection I agree to buy it, we inform you that we live from (Taverny in Val-d'Oise 95); However we are traveling (outside France). We want to proceed with the sale by a reservation since I will have

little time on our return to take care of it because of the work.

In

this case I count you send all the funds at first by an instant payment

via the postal services and once you have the money we will fix a date

in order to agree an appointment at your home for the recovery
good.

If you agree with the principle please indicate to me the following information so that I can send you the funds:

-Name-Firstname-Address-Contacts

Upon receipt of this information, I will do the necessary tomorrow to

finalize the sale and ask a freight forwarder to go to your home to

retrieve it and reserve it until my return.

We hope to be able to count on your honesty given that you will have the money before we recover the good.

I will add 100EUR on the initial amount for booking fees.

cordially

Today I put an ad in for our dining table and 6 chairs. They too were expensive. Within an hour I had a similar response. A text asking me to email, this time a different name and email address. So I emailed giving  the price and cash only. I have had a similar reply to that too

Bonsoir

J'ai bien reçu votre mail  mais et je suis d’accord pour vous l’acheter! Je vous informe que je suis en déplacement Je souhaiterai donc procéder la vente par une réservation vu que j’aurai peu de temps a mon retour pour m’en occuper à cause du boulot. Dans ce cas je compte vous envoyer la totalité des fonds dans un premier temps par un paiement via les service de la poste  et une fois vous auriez l’argent nous fixerons une date afin de convenir d’un RDV à votre domicile pour la récupération.Donc si vous êtes d’accord sur ce principe veuillez m’ indiquer les informations suivantes afin que je puisse vous envoyer les fonds dans les plus bref délais,des Demain matin . Votre Nom et Prénoms, Votre Adresse complète,Votre prix définitif et votre N° de tel fixe et mobile.  Aussi, j’aimerai savoir si j’ai pas de frais supplémentaire à prévoir sur votre annonce . Aussi veuillez me faire parvenir quelques photos si possible, pour juste prendre mes précautions pour ne pas êtres d’un désaccord une fois sur place. Dès réception de ces infos, je me rendrai à la poste vous effectuer votre  transfert. Dans l’attente d’une suite favorable.

Desdiot Patrice

And a translation of that, roughly, life is too short to f a r t around

Good evening

I received your mail but I agree to buy it! I

am informing you that I am traveling so I would like to proceed with

the sale by a reservation since I will have little time on my return to

take care of it because of the work.
In

this case I intend to send you all the funds at first by a payment via

the postal service and once you have the money we will fix a date in

order to agree an appointment at your home for the recovery.
So

if you agree with this principle please let me know the following

information so that I can send you the funds as soon as possible from

tomorrow morning.
Your Full Name, Your Complete Address, Your Definitive Price and your Fixed and Mobile Number. Also, I would like to know if I have no additional fees to expect on your ad. Also please send me a few pictures if possible, just to take my precautions so as not to be disagreement once on the spot. Upon receipt of this info, I will go to the post you carry your transfer. Pending a favorable response.

Desdiot Patrice

There is a phone number with this one strating 00225 Ivory Coast!!

If I had just been flogging one item I may have possibly believed it, but as I put a second ad in it shows up like a dammed big, painful sore thumb. It's a scam. So if you get anything like this avoid it big time !

Just reading the reply and the quality of the french language used, you can easily guess the writer is from Africa. Just ignore or better, tell him you have passed the information to a friend of yours who works for the secret service .......

• 3 months later...
Not only leboncoin, but ebay too. The 'purchaser' will send you a very good imitation of a Paypal transaction made in your favour, asking you to click on a link. A simple check of your Paypal account, not going via their link will show you that you have not been paid.

We had someone that lives 15km away from us that tried it. When we pointed out to her that it was a scam, she wasn't at all worried that we realised.

Generally, if someone offers to send a cheque, I accept it as it will be stolen and I would prefer that it went to someone that is aware of the scam, rather than an unsuspecting individual. Upon receipt of the cheque I take it and a copy of the emails to the respective bank for them to do as they see fit. Paper is an excellent item for obtaining fingerprints.

When the 'purchaser' contacts me to arrange collection, I agree and tell them that I am easy to find as I live next to the Gendarmerie. Needless to say, I hear no more.