Netflix in France

My wife starts hospital treatment next week, and this may involve staying in hospital for several days at a time. To stop her becoming bored, I'm arranging books (hardcopy and Kindle) and games on her tablet.

If the hospital offers internet access, I'm thinking of access to Netflix for her.

I'm guessing that we'll get an ID and a password, so she can access it while in the hospital. Can anybody confirm this?

Secondly, as it'll be Netflix.fr, I'm guessing again that english language shows/films/etc will be subtitled or dubbed. If that's the case, is there any way to switch these off, and enjoy the unaltered original?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
FWIW...

I've take out a subscription to Netflix - very easy as described, everything in english, but a limited range of programs/films available. I assume this is to do with copyright laws.

I'm told that with the aid of a VPN (not the usual ones, they're onto those), one can access Netflix UK or Netflix US. That would be nice.

(I expected "Le Village Francais" to be available. Unfortunately, not. So, if anyone can tell me where I can find LVF (series 2 onwards), with english subs, I'll be greatful).

Cheers

Even if there is WiFi in the hospital then to begin with it's highly improbable that it will provide the sort of bandwidth required to stream video and even if it did I can't see it being all you can eat simply to prevent exactly what you're proposing.

If you want net access for that that sort of thing then buy a 4G mobile phone data package but better make it a big one because depending on quality an hour of video streaming can consume a Gb or more.

An alternative is Amazon Prime. Apart from the shopping advantages (speaking as a generally satisfied customer), the Video Prime service is also available. You can download films and series to your device (a tablet in our case) and watch them at your leisure. You need to log on occasionally to "validate" the download, but otherwise its great. Down loaded episodes of Damages siting in a Russian speaking hotel in Finland this year during our motorbike trip. Not the connection for streaming but meant we could watch the episodes later in the evening. Films are also available.

[quote user="AnOther"]Even if there is WiFi in the hospital then to begin with it's highly improbable that it will provide the sort of bandwidth required to stream video and even if it did I can't see it being all you can eat simply to prevent exactly what you're proposing.

If you want net access for that that sort of thing then buy a 4G mobile phone data package but better make it a big one because depending on quality an hour of video streaming can consume a Gb or more.

[/quote]

In my experience Netflix works perfectly with a very slow download speed. The program spools before any programme starts but I have never had a problem during the episode itself. It works when Channel 4 does not.

If you join Netflix UK, which you can easily do if you have a UK bank account, debit or credit card, when you log in wherever you are in the world, you get the same content. Unlike Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime do not restrict viewing geographically and you have global access to your account, which is great when you travel

I have spent a couple of times in hospital over the past few years and in spite of going in well equipped with lots of amusements, have never had time to watch them or read them or do them.

Just when do others get time?

After operations and then the subsequent very disturbed nights what with nurses prodding and poking and doing their obs, and add to that the pain, I was always pleased to doze during the day when they gave me chance.

I suppose that it depends what one is in for too, perhaps. Pray tell me.

Sprogster, are you absolutely certain?

My son, in Sweden, has access to Netflix UK, and he tells me there's a world of difference - a much bigger selection. Plus, remember that the BBC restricts access to I-player from abroad - I can't see them allowing unrestricted access via Netflix.

Cheers

(Oops, I should read the post. You talked about subscribing to Netflix UK. I have subscribed to Netflix France and my son to Netflix Sweden - that may account for the limited range?)

I have an English bank account registered to our home address in France but was only able to join Netflix France from my ITunes account. When I am in England I can watch everything on UK Netflix, but not here.

I don't have any trouble finding things to watch in English or French (sometimes with French subtitles) and I have watched Un Village Français.

Actually the bank account is not relevant. It is the French iTunes account which gives me French Netflix; but definitely access to the UK site when in the UK.

Would it be helpful for people to add favourites here? I would certainly appreciate some ideas.

On French Netflix I have watched in English:

The Crown

Designated Survivor

The Miss Fisher mysteries (Australian)

Orange is the New Black

House of Cards

Repeats of Call the Midwife

In French:

Un village francais

A version of Harlen Coburn's Tell No One

Marseille

The Time in Between (Spanish with French subtitles).

Plus lots of films and documentaries.

[quote user="Sprogster"]Ian,

Absolutely certain, in that unlike iplayer you are not geographically restricted access on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I am a member of Netflix UK and have no problem accessing and watching my UK Netflix account in France or the USA, where I visit frequently.[/quote]

You are not restricted in your geographical access to Netflix.

However, because of different TV rights/copyright restrictions in different countries the actual programmes/films you can access in a particular country are different from country to country. In addition, Netflix often only pay for/have the rights to a programmes/film in a country for a limited time.

As a simplified example, Netflix UK might have acquired the rights to a programme which had previously been shown on Sky UK and give access to it. But Canal+ might have the first rights to that programme in France but not yet broadcast it. So Netflix could not show it in France.