Broken mobile phone

My wife, god bless her, managed to leave her new phone (Samsung Galaxy) lying in a pool of water in the kitchen. I dried it carefully by hand then left it overnight in a bag of oven-dried rice.

Everything works, except as a phone. If I call it, it rings perfectly (it didn't before) but if you answer it, all you can hear is static/white noise. So, not much use as a phone....

What are my options? Junk it? Send it to Samsung for repair? Claim for a new one against my house insurance?

Cheers

[quote user="Chancer"]

Everything works, except as a phone.

Just about sums up my view of my new soi disant "smart"phone [:(]

Never made nor recieved a call or a texto on:with it in 3 months, my proper mobile phone still warrants its monopoly for that [:P]

[/quote]

Not if you chuck it in water it won't [:D]

There is hope!

After another few hours in the rice, I could almost make a successful - MUCH less static/white noise.

So, I've re-dried the rice, and buried the phone again, this time overnight.

Fingers crossed

(Chancer, I only started with smartphones, because my son insisted on giving me his old one. Now, I find them essential sometimes. Patience, it'll grow on you)

Cheers

May be borked beyond any home remedies.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-not-quite-waterproof-torture-tests-reveal/

Ironically manufacturers seem promote waterproofing and immersibility (is that a word ?) as a top feature however research amongst customers doesn't place it in the top 10 of desirable or must have features.

I suppose that's what happens when a technology matures and killer features are hard to come by.

[quote user="AnOther"]May be borked beyond any home remedies.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-not-quite-waterproof-torture-tests-reveal/

Ironically manufacturers seem promote waterproofing and immersibility (is that a word ?) as a top feature however research amongst customers doesn't place it in the top 10 of desirable or must have features.

I suppose that's what happens when a technology matures and killer features are hard to come by.

[/quote]People do not always know whats best for them but I bet the insurers breath a sigh of relief as liquid damage isn't always covered.

Bingo, oh ye of little faith

Despite all you doomsayers, the rice treatment worked. (Probably because it was arborio.) SWMBO's phone is now working, as well as it did before.

Maybe I should wrap it now in a plastic bag?

Cheers, all

To be fair to the dear lady, she was actually in hospital at the time, not feeling her best, and the water was a spill on her bedside table. (I only said kitchen to make things simple).

And hanging from a cord round her neck is not an option - if she won't do that for her glasses, she'll NEVER do it for her phone. Maybe one of the rugged-ised, SAS-type phones is the answer after all. Mind, she'd probably see it as a challenge...

On second thoughts, no.

Cheers