Excuse my ignorance but would it be possible to receive Freesat on a French tv with built in TNT if pointed at the right satellite.

In other words are the built in tuners the same standard. I want to buy a new tv in UK with Freesat built in but son says a French bought TNT one would work!

[quote user="CeeJay"]Excuse my ignorance but would it be possible to receive Freesat on a French tv with built in TNT if pointed at the right satellite.

In other words are the built in tuners the same standard. I want to buy a new tv in UK with Freesat built in but son says a French bought TNT one would work![/quote]

To get Freesat specifically you will need to buy a TV in the UK, or a Freesat box. This will give you the Freesat 7 day EPG (Programme Guide). If the TV comes with Freesat and Freeview, then you will be able to get the French TV with an antenna, as UK Freeview is the same spec as French TNT. Connect your dish to the satellite terminal and your aerial to the terrestrial terminal.

However, if you are not bothered too much with the Freesat EPG, you can just buy any TV (in France) with a satellite connection and you will still pick up all the Freesat channels (plus a few more). However, you will have to rearrange the channels to the order you want as they are in a random order, unlike Freesat where all the channels are pre-ordained and you cannot move them about. The other problem with a generic satellite TV is that if there are any changes, additions, deletions to channels etc, you will have to do this manually, as unlike Freesat, this does not happen automatically. Freesat updates automatically when there are changes.

For ease, we bought a TV in France for French TV and UK satellite, and bought a Freesat PVR box, best of both worlds then. Can record 2 or 3 channels simultaneously and still watch another.

Hope this helps a bit!

Many Tv' s now include Freesat EPG in the software (most UHD TV's come with a standard satellite tuner). To get this choice you may need to select UK as its home location. Sometimes you have to get into a secret 'service menu' to change the country depending on the TV brand.