Changing region on a DVD player

An American friend has sent me quite a lot of DVDs (the postage cost alone was horrendous!) and they won't play on our DVD player. We could watch them on the computer, but I saw on Google various people saying that you can make the DVD player work with DVDs from all regions. I tried to follow the instructions, but got nowhere. Is it possible, or am I wasting my time? The player is by LG model DP520H.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]Do a search on YouTube. It’s usually straightforward but can involve a sequence of keystrokes on the remote control.[/quote]

Yep, that's probably the best, been about 15 years since I played around with that. I remember when people hacked the Philips machines to multi region. What they did was enter a tech test area and after 5 plays the machines stopped working [:D]  My Pioneer had a jumper lead soldered on a couple of pins but LG usually just needed a series of steps, something to do with leaving the dvd tray open and a code/switch on and off.

Good luck I still have my pioneer (multi region) if you get stuck.

Yes, the tips I tried said to leave the tray open, then press a sequence of numbers, but I couldn't get any writing to appear on the TV screen unless the tray was closed (then I got a message saying 'no DVD') - I'm not very good at tech stuff!

If BnB youtube hack doesnt work then perhaps try this.

Download owner manual from LG website. This gives you area codes in an appendix. Go to settings section of manual and follow instructions for changing region code to that where the DVDs were made. NB It looks as if you need to set a "lock" password before changing area code -

Just a back-up suggestion with the caveat that I haven't done it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-MULTIREGION-Upscaling-Support-Playback/dp/B00LCVLLJA/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1518291252&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A1059548031

A more expensive solution - though DVDs aren't that expensive nowadays .Some anyways.

I'm afraid its becoming a disposable world.

Nb if that doesn't work then don't blame the messenger.

A lot of the cheap DVD players on sale at UK supermarkets a few years ago were region-free. I've kept an old Asda player for the odd occasion when I want to see a North American- format film. Presumably French supermarkets sell or used to sell the same units. The internet hacks can also work, depending the player. Worth a try. The last time I looked into this, Blu-ray players were considered unhackable.