Telephone cable

I want to re-route the domestic telephone cable that runs from the FT company box on the outside wall of our house, to a new location on the interior of the house, plus install a new distribution box. Can I do this myself or do I have to have France telecom or whatever they are called these days do it?

The box outside is Oranges and I'm pretty sure that strictly speaking you have no right to open it and that actual telephone point in the house is where you should extend or reroute from.

If you wanted to be uber picky then you probably shouldn't be in there either and any extending or rerouting should be by plugin extension cables.

With that out of the way though the reality is that within your own property you can pretty much do what you want and nobody will give a rat's U-NO-WOT or be any the wiser.

What AnO says exactly echoes my experience. FT don't like you going into their external box and when they discovered my soldered connections they made a big song and dance about it. They replaced my efforts with snap on connecters which are absolutely impossible to open and fitted a new junction box inside.

Made absolutely no difference. The line is still corrupted between the house and the exchange so have swapped over to Wimax whilst waiting for G4 to arrive.

I had so many problems with the old line and the dreadful wiring inside the house, that I requested a completely new line.

The technician who came wanted to connect to the old wiring, but after explaining that I wanted an extra line with a new number, and was paying for a new installation, he, albeit reluctantly, ran a new line to, and through the house to my office.

I later cancelled the old line and used just the new one, which I reconnected within the house to where I actually wanted it.

When I looked at his connections to the pole outside I saw there was a small black junction box, with the cover loose, swinging in the wind from the wires it was connecting.

I borrowed a long ladder, climbed up, replaced the cover, and fastened the box to the pole.

No one made any song nor dance, they didn't even complain[:)]