If you are told your computer is slowed down by.....

x files, y problems and you have z knowledge of such things, do you buy whatever is recommended?

An example:  I have been getting messages from Avast about my computer's slowness and they do have a point as it IS getting slower.

Just some general advice would be helpful; some specific advice would be even more so.  Thank you.

Do remember Avast is in the business of making money first and helping its clients second.

Depending on what is slowing your computer down there are simple actions that you can do to clean up your machine.

It's a bit like housework .. the longer you leave it between clean-ups the more dust accumulates and tbe longer it takes.

What does Avast say ?

What indeed?  I can't remember the wording as it is all double dutch to me but, next time I get the message, I will note down the exact phrases!

So, Sue, where would I start to do this computer ménage? 

Why couldn't you download defraggler ?

It can be found by scrolling down to very bottom of the page in Cajal's link ..from the LHS there are 4 columns of lists .. the second list from the edge of the screen id headed 'Download', the second entry down is Defraggler. Click on that.

If you need help using either Ccleaner or defraggler then just say.