Suddenly Orange is great

Our line with adsl, phone etc went down for the umpteenth time, A call to the service with completely automatic responses told us ' 'yes your line is down'. A series of sms offering airboxes and promises of a fix within 36 hours. Last time the fix took 4 weeks. This time less than 24 hours. I collected an airbox and used it for 1 hour. After fix a phone call from a technician to ensure adsl was working and then another call giving us a number to call if there was any further failure in the near future.

A change from an occasion when I called 3390 or whatever it is and spent half an hour on the mobile talking to somebody in Tunisia at a cost 30+€.

I suspect they are losing customers to other providers and have pulled their socks up!!

Our building complex security system was linked on an Orange fiber line. It was costing 60€ a month. When we moved in 2 years ago I contacted Free who put the line into our appartment for 29€ a month. This year I got the CS for the complex to contemplate changing provider to save 360€ a year. The Syndic contacted Orange to explain the situation and perhaps come up with a similar offer. No way said Orange, you go with Free if you want to! We did, the service is the same at half the price. Great business model.

Orange seems to care more about their customers in Kongville, wherever that is, than here.

Last year a local contractor removing trees along the main road through the adjacent village dug up and broke the main armoured cable serving ours. Our bank and several businesses simply shut down for the couple of weeks or so before it was repaired, which involved several excavations, a large reel of new cable, many workers and supervisors, traffic lights, and traffic delays.

Convois exceptionnels which have to travel through here to avoid the low bridge on the RN (or RD nowadays) at Trèbes had to lay up in lay-bys back to Carcassonne, as the road was made too narrow.

Orange did nothing active in the way of mitigating the problem..

I read my contract and found I was entitled to a substitute system, went to their boutique in town, and was given an "Airbox" on loan.

I couldn't connect it to my PC by cable, as it had no reception anywhere near my office, so I found somewhere where it could get a signal and put our laptop where it could get its Wifi signal. Not too handy, but at least I could check our email.

The bill for the next couple of months was totally unintelligible. They charged bits and bobs of rent and call charges and credited them back in a different format, but the end result was more or less what we usually pay, so I didn't fuss about it, as it must have taken some poor s0d ages to work it all out.

Well it was all going swimmingly, I couldn't believe it. However it's all fallen over again. I spoke too soon. Can't wait for Bouygue to up their signal here - I could use 4G - 100gb per month for half the price of Oranges 2.4 mb.

Hey Ho!